1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEED HELP WITH CHOKE TUBE???????????????????????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bgf, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgf

bgf Active Member

I have a used BT99 older model. It came with a tube. I bought a Browning Invector tube and ooppss...the treads were all wrong. After market tube obviously. How can I find out who made the tube? No markings. Or, who could I sent the tube to and have one made like it with a dif. constriction.

Any sugestions?

Bernie

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

How about a picture of the choke? LOL

3. bgf

bgf Active Member

Shooting Coach,

Very funny...and a pic will tell you what?

4. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

bgf -

First I would go to the Browning web site, and find the manufacture date on your gun. This will give you an idea if it came with chokes from the factory. You could call Browning and they may know.

Second, take a micrometer or calipers and measure the choke ID at the muzzle, and measure the O/S diameter on the threads. You could then check the various web sites for Briley, Carlson, Seminole, etc. They frequently have their choke specs. Also measure the length of the choke. It may also have a Winchester choke, since they're popular after-market chokes. If your gun came with a full choke, you may well have a thin-wall choke. There is often not enough material at the muzzle to put Browning, or some other standard chokes.

All of this data will be of help.

Shooting Coach is correct. Some members here may know the brand on sight.

Best,
    Dennis

5. bgf

bgf Active Member

Dennis,

Thanks. I had a pic up last year and it produced nada. I think it may well be a Colonial. I will take the measurements. Can someone duplicate the tube? I called Briley and they will not deal with it. I am sure it is a thin wall aftermarket and it cannot be visally ided.

I have done some research but am not getting anywhere.

Bernie

6. 682b

682b Member

Contact these people they may be able to help you. They are going to make me several extended 2" tubes for my 28" barrel. Good luck JIM

7. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I just got over a bad experience with Briley, they have a newer guy and he could not help me with a similar problem. Still the best if you want to send a gun to them. If you can get to a major shoot that is attended by a couple of "trap gun" gunsmiths, you could probably get the help you need. Get an ink pad, roll the clean tube across the ink pad and then roll on index cards. Send to several of the tube mfgr.s to see if they can ID the threads.

8. willing

willing Member

Bernie
    Colonial is still in business, why not call them? I know that they used to pt chokes in non-chked barrels.

Bill

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Bernie, once you get the dimensions and thread in threads per inch (tpi) see if you can get hold of a Brownell's catalog. They sell many, many brands and include all the needed numbers. I've identified unknowns several times with Brownell's help.

Neil

10. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I've had several older BT-99s that had TruChokes installed in them. As Neil stated, if you measure the od and check the threads, you can match them up in a Brownells catalog, that's how I did it.

Big Dave

11. bgf

bgf Active Member

Thanks all,

I will take each advise and follow thru...pic, thread count, etc.

All of this info is very helpful. I am sure I will solve this riddle with your help.

Regards,
    Bernie

12. bgf

bgf Active Member

Thanks guys,

Got the make. I was right about Colonial Arms. Will call them and determine if it is a thin wall or not.

Again, Thank you all for your help.

Bernie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.