1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with Calcutta type shoots

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Many years ago I went to a lot of the Calcuttas around northern Indiana & lower Michigan. I need help with info as to how to set up a shoot. If any of you have software or any info that would help I would appreciate it. Send me a PM or an email. I am considering Buddy and Draw Buddy shoots and need to know how to break down the payouts etc and any ideas that would make a successful shoot

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Cuban,

If you pay three places it is a simple 50/30/20 payout to the place.

You also need to establish shooter/buyer percentage (50/50 or 60/40 seem to be the norm).

Last decide if you are going to pay by the place or by "high gun". Paying by the place means if 98/100 is the top score and two teams shot that score then they split the first place winnings. Second and third place payouts are done in the same manor. I've been lucky enough at times to place third and not split the payout and get more money than fisrt place shooters because of splits.

"High Gun" is the purest form in which the top three shooters get paid.

Paying by the place seems to be the most popular because it spreads the money out a little more. High Gun is what the purest seem to prefer.

Just ask the shooters what they prefer prior to the start of the auction and go from there.

ss

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I run the Calcuttas at my club. We don't use a computer as it's fairly simple procedure. That said it's the standard Calcutta, not Buddy or Draw Buddy that you mention. The way we do it is that everyone who want's to enter pays an entry fee of X$. Then there's an auction for all of the entrys. We use a 4 place payout syatem of 40-30-20-10% for the four highest scores (ties divide).

The buyer gets 70% and the shooter gets 30% of their portion. As an example; lets say there $1000 in the total purse of entry fees and auction payments. 1st place would be worth $400, with the buyer of the winner getting $280 and the shooter getting $120 and so on for the next 3 highest scores. If you buy yourself and win then you get to keep both the buyer and the shooter money.

Eric

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Be careful about lop sided buyer/shooter percentages. I've seen shooters that get bought as a "wildcard" or outbid, shoot the ground just to make a point to the buyer. This is why 60/40 or 50/50 work out much better.

ss

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

SS,

I know what you mean but over the years the 70/30% was what the shooters wanted and we've never had an issue with "shooting the ground". We've found that 70/30% splits results in more active bidding.

Eric

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Thx, this is what I remember. How about some kind of prgressive pot for long runs or one that build until a shooter or team is straight and wins it all. Seems like I remember some that went on for months or longer and had some serious cash in it??? Have you done that

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

cuban',

I've seen that done in weekly 50 bird events (25 singles / 25 handicap) as a perpetual purse. Once word of a $500 pot got circulated around it really brought them out of the woodwork.

About a year ago I held a buddy shoot at my local club that was a success. It was a 50 bird draw protection and a 50 bird bring your own partner event. The twist is that you, and your partner, had to shoot in the draw protection to be calcutta eligible.

We shot the draw from the 25yrd and the bring from the 27yrd line. There was 15 teams and everyone had a ball.

The funny part was two shooters that came by themselves partnerd up in the calcutta shoot and came in second place.

I hope to get the time to have another one this spring.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.