1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with Automate

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RunGunIPSC, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

What are the differences between the MEC labeled Automate & the one labeled ATS Automate 2? Thanks. Tom

2. JJM

JJM Member

Jim who owned Automate sold out to MEC same machine.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I cannot wait for the season to start. Using my 9000E is great therapy. Makes great shells too.

Buy a 9000E. Don't convert unless yo already have a 9000G. Buy a bottle support. Makes bushing and bar changes a snap. Skip the cover. Buy 7/8, 1 oz, 1-1/8oz bars. get 25 thru 35 bushings.
    [​IMG]

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Or, MIA, buy an adjustable charge bar and skip all of those bushings and the extra charge bars.

Works for me and a lot of reloaders.

Hauxfan!

5. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Mec version requires you hold both buttons down untill loader is at bottom of stroke, Automate two does not. Persoanlly I perfere the II over the Mec version but both are far superior to pulling the handle. Mec has stated they can repair the II should something go wrong with it. Great addition to the Mec stable. Jake

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have a 9000GN converted to a 9000E powered by an Automate II. I can't imagine loading shotshells with anything else and that's coming from someone who has used a lot of the other loaders and visited friends who have hydraulic systems. Actually, some of them HAD hydraulic systems as they switched to an Automate after seeing mine. I don't know what I did wrong or right, but converting my GN to an E was not challenging and didn't take very long at all.

And I'm in Jack's corner with regard to the bars and bushings. I can change a bar and/or bushing a lot faster than I could adjust my adjustable bar and then weigh drops until I got it set where I wanted it. Once you do some test drops with a jug of powder and write down what each bushing you might use with it (for me, that's three) drops, there's no need to get the scale out until you buy a jug of powder from a different lot. A lot of people like the adjustable bars but an afternoon with mine was enough.

Ed

7. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Ed,

I'm with 'ya on the adjustable bars vs. the MEC bars & bushings. They rank right up there with powder baffles!

Thanks,

Jon Reitz

8. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Do they make a automate E drive for a 366?

9. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Interesting thoughts so far. The guys here are really great for that. I have been loading on a Hydro unit for 25 yrs now. The unit I use for 12 ga is an old 76H with the little low 'picket fence' to keep the shells from falling off in back. A friend offered me his Automate 2 base unit. Was going to convert my 20 ga Grabber. I just wondered if the newer MEC units were better than the older Automate 2's. This one is dated 1/2006 by the shipping label. For sure,you guys are right about pulling the handle,esp when you have to load 600 shells for the weekend shoot. Tom

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

ED. I have the bottle support on mine. Adn it holds bottles stable. I put together a step by step instruction of how to change the bushings/bars. I'll post that later today (hopefully) and it can be lifted from the TS.com server and back onto a word document. Too, I can send the instruction to anyone that wants it via email. A caution here tho... YOu really need a bottle support to pull off neat changes, with no spills, and no lost shells.

Headed for an outpatient colonoscopy today. When my energy returns, I can take some pictures of how the system looks as yo go thru the steps. I am pretty sure the system will work the same on a 9000G if you can get your wife or kid to hold the handle down partially.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I agree that some sort of bottle support is a must-have with any MEC loader, power-driven or not. I used the MEC support for years but now use two others - I change off as the mood strikes. One is a huge shot reservoir with a drain feature and the other consists of two thick aluminum "cups" that enclose the bottom couple of inches of each MEC bottle, which is where they fail.

Ed

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

When Jim Benn and I were working together on the start of the Automate II for the P/W and Spolar, I suggested to him that having to hold both buttons was a PITA. I told him to really give some thought to only having to press ONE button. He said it was a liability issue.

Shortly thereafter, Jim called to say that after talking with his attorney there, he redid the EPROM and was going to make it available to all who preferred the ONE versus TWO button hold thing.

I have to assume that if someone were to copy the EPROM in the Automatie II, it would retrofit in the Automate I. It's worth a try.

I do have an EPROM burner.

Whiz

13. esetter

esetter Active Member

I have an opportunity to purchase an Automate II used and I called Mec to ask them about it and they recommended that I not buy it. They weren't trying to sell me a new one, just said "you will have problems with the older machine". Perhaps they were worried about liability? All of you guys seem very happy with the older Automate II. Mec also said it only takes about 2 minutes to change from one gauge to another. I have 4 mec 9000G machines and I was thinking about setting up the automate and changing from one machine to another and putting all of the machines under the bench which would clear off a lot of space. Anyone change different gauge machines? Is it time consuming?

14. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

esetter,

Takes about 2-3 minutes to change to a different gauge machine (12g to 28g and vice-versa).

Chichay

15. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I have the Automate II and have loaded literaly a ton of shells with it. Still going strong. I prefere the II simply because you can let go of the buttons when the machine starts. Jake

16. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

That is the way this one works. Push both buttons & take your hands away & it still cycles thru. With a 9000 you can the grab the next hull & wad while it cycles.

17. tj303

tj303 Member

esetter

Changing out one gauge machine for another is quick and easy. What is not quick and easy is converting your four 9000's to the Automate. I successfully converted two 9000 machines. If I had to do it again I would probably sell the 9000's and buy new machines already set-up for the Automate. TJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.