1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help with ATA

Discussion in 'Shoot Information, EVENTS, Clinics & Results' started by corycarner, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corycarner

corycarner TS Member

I am looking to start registered trap shooting. I was looking for advice on where i would have to start shooting and what class I would be in. I have never shot a registered target ever. Could someone help me out and let me know what my handicap would be and what class I would be in and everything that I should be doing before I start shooting so I can practice what I will be shooting in shoots.

2. mike2010

mike2010 TS Member

You would start out on the 20 yard line in handicap and D class singles and D class doubles,unless the club you shoot at classes you higher for known ability. The new target year starts Sept. 1st,this would be the time to join the ATA,cost is $ 20.00 per target year(target year runs from Sept.1st to Aug 31st).If you need to locate some clubs in your area go to the ATA website and go to the clubs link and it will show you all the clubs.Hope this helps Mike

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

See if you can find a club that shoots Big 50 registered targets. That way you can shoot registered at a reduced cost and get your target requirements so you shoot in your class and yardage without penalty. Otherwise you might have to start out at your first shoot in B class and the 25 yard line. HMB

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Since you know what registered is, you obviously been watching a while and are familiar with the protocol of shooting a round of trap. Trapshooters are a bunch of frustrated perfectionists trying to achieve a perfect score every time. This makes for meeting an interesting character now and again.

When just starting out, trying to keep the rythm of the squad constant is important. Work on your mount, reloading procedure (maybe with snap caps), and equipment so that your fellow shooters won't be standing there glaring at you while you fumble with something.

Try to stay away from the leadoff spot for a while so you'll have one less thing to worry about during your practices/shoots.

Muzzle control is very important and your squad mates will be put at ease quickly if you handle your gun correctly when on the line. Muzzle down is my favorite non shooting position, but I've seen muzzle up occasionally.

Once you have your routine down try to relax (a little) and have fun. The early part, when your improving, sometimes by leaps and bounds, it can really get you hooked. Good luck.

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

mike2010 just curious in the thread that I have provided a link to above what class would you have put the OP.

I feel that until the new shooter has established known ability they should be put in B class. That is what would be fair in the case of that thread. This is the trouble with unknown shooters you don't know what they are capable of.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.