1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with ammo

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Questor, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Questor

Questor TS Member

I'm new to trap shooting and need some help with ammo issues. I'm a long-time cartridge reloader and am naturally inclined to reload. I don't see the payback now for loading trap loads because of the price of lead.

I still like the idea of loading because I still see the opportunity to make premium ammo for the price of the cheap promotional ammo.

I would like to know what you think about the promotional vs. handload issue for shooting 16 yard trap principally, and with some double trap.

If I were to reload, I'd be using a progressive press. And I don't mind spending an hour now and then to load up a couple of hundred rounds.

Aside from time spent, and the cost of the press, is there a down side to making my own? Is the promotional ammo so good that I can just forget reloading and enjoy the bonanza of good ammo without having to reload?

Thanks for the insight. I appreciate it.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If your main objective is to shoot the least expensive shells then just buy the promo stuff. Handloads with premium components will cost you more at today's rates. The promo shells will break targets just fine or at least they will perform as well as most shooters.

On the other hand, this is a pretty good time to pick up used loading equipment for next to nothing. It is hard to imagine that the current trend of components costing more than factory shells will continue forever. Also as you pointed out, rolling your own gives you the opportunity to make very good ammo that can be tailored to your own specifications.

3. Questor

Questor TS Member

Thank you for the insight. I appreciate it.

4. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I agree, that it's a good time to watch for a nice used progressive press. Loading your own won't just give you premium ammo for a promo price, it'll also give you the infinite variety you found with metallic loading. No, there's no downside. I reload all my ammo, but I believe that promo is fine for 16 yards. Not as good as you can load though, so no to your last 2 questions. Phil E

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Reloading for me is relaxing. I will reload on days normally reserved for shooting, if the weather is bad. I reload right now a nice soft shooting load that I shoot well with. back to 23y. For all other shooting fun shoots clubbing and local league I will shoot Estates or gun clubs what ever is cheaper and available. STS for ATA events. I now have enough confidence in my reloads that I would use in ATA event.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.