1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help With a Winchester Model 12 Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tea sipper, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tea sipper

tea sipper TS Member

I recently acquired a Winchester Model 12 20 gauge – tried it out and it has a problem. The gun has been reblued and has had a rib added as well as a custom set of wood, so I can’t tell how much use it has had. The bolt release button next to the trigger takes a great deal of pressure to release the bolt and allow the forearm to slide back (holding forward pressure on the forearm while pushing the button is really required). A factory skeet shell can be loaded just fine, but after firing the round the forearm cannot be pulled back to eject the shell unless the forearm is pushed forward quite hard and an audible click is heard, the forearm can then be pulled back to eject the empty. The problem is only worse with other brands of ammo. Any help would be appreciated.

2. twotimer

twotimer Member

Sipper, contact kirbythegunsmith.com. kirbythegunsmith@hotmail.com. He is on this website and knows his way around model 12s'. He has done work for me and is a good guy. Mike.

3. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Had that problem with a 12 and a 20 ga.. Sent both to the Model 12 people at Wright's Gunshop and about $60.00 each they came back slick as glass. They called it trigger "stretching" required.

4. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

TeaSipper, when I fix an action slide lock to properly release, it is typically much easier to operate than any other factory Model-12 (same for 42's) that you have ever sampled due to my specialty- optimized refitting of the parts.

If the reblue and consequent assembly was done by someone not familiar with the best practices/assembly of the parts, some problems could have been created (or possibly just not recognized as already existing), so I am never one to pre-judge a situation as more or less serious prior to inspection of the gun. Alternatively or additionally for initial verification, I will have a phone conversation with the shooter (with the gun in hand) to allow mechanical checking by proxy of what I would do in front of them to check and inspect the mechanical issues and condition.

---------------------------------------------

EXFedex, the problem described actually may be two problems of related parts- but different areas, and then may not be the same issue that you had fixed.

I personally will not consider "trigger stretching" if there is much chance at all of refitting the other parts, since any rework of the trigger by "stretching" may have consequences beyond the addition of a few thousandths length. Minor situation with minor stretching- not really a big deal.

Your issue might have been repaired in an alternate manner if I had done the job. Sometimes it's just a matter of opinion of the repair person at hand.

I am not saying that your repair is not viable- just probably not the method that I would have used- if I am understanding the situation as described.

Kirby

5. UTVols

UTVols TS Member

I had a 20 ga that I bought doing the same thing. Fire and lock up. I disassembled it and found that someone had previously "worked on it" and the piece-parts on the barrel assy had not been put back together properly. I want to say that the ring on the mag tube (underneath the forend) was on backwards. Swapped it and it functions fine. Look at some exploded views of a M-12 barrel assy and see if you have the same prob. If it was a recent reblue, it's possible that it was reassembled wrong.

6. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

It sounds like it could be a headspace problem.The model 12 head spaces off the little ring in the receiver that you see when you take the barrel assembly off.This i would not do on ones own,but have a good gunsmith check it for you,they may have removed it when the reblueing took place.Just a thought,hope it helps

7. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

If someone put a new chamber ring in and it didn't get honed properly, It may be a little smaller I.D than the chamber causing the brass to expand in the chamber "more" than the ring, it will be hard to pump the gun if this happen's.

Thank's, Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
20 ga winchester slide problem
repair winchester model 12 action slide lock
slide release button hard to push on winchester model 12
slide telease buttom on model 12 winchester
vidoes modle 12 slide release problems
winchester model 12 hard to eject after firing
winchester model 12 problems

winchester model12 20ga relise buttom for slide works hard