1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with a new A5

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Lagrue, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Lagrue

Lagrue Member

I have 2 new browning A5 shotguns. I purchased these guns at the same dealer about 3 months apart. Both of these guns are 3.5" guns. These guns have different styles of magazine tubes. I have several friends that have these guns. They all have magazine tubes like the one on the left in the attached picture. The one on the right is giving me problems. I can't stick 2 3.5 shells , or a combination of 1 3" shell and 1 3.5" shell into this tube. Upon doing this, something is restricting the follower from sliding on up the tube. The follower will lodge and prevent the spring from applying pressure on the shells preventing it from feeding properly, therefore jamming. My other gun, the spring and follower will come right out upon removing the plug in the end of the tube. No such luck with this one. It hangs up at about 6.5 "Browning is wanting me to send it in with at least a 6 week wait time. Any options of replacing this tube with an aftermarket tube.

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Banned User Banned

No pictures are shown. Is there a shell restriction plug in the tube?

3. Lagrue

Lagrue Member

IMG_1187.JPG

No I've taken the plug out of the end of the magazine tube as well as the spring. I then tried to push the follower out the end of the tube by pushing shells through the magazine. The follower hangs up around the 6.5 inch mark at that point it's wedged in there. I have to take a rod and knock it loose from the top

4. Lagrue

Lagrue Member

Even the magazine tube springs are different. The one in the malfunctioning gun is a heavy flat spring. The one in the functioning gun is a thin light spring.

5. Lagrue

Lagrue Member

I talked to customer service about the turn around time. They weren't giving any leeway on it.

6. Lagrue

Lagrue Member

Update on this, may A5 has been at Browning customer service since jan 12, as of today it is still be waiting to be assigned to a gunsmith. Disappointing to say the least, I talked to them yesterday and they wouldn't give me any idea when it was going to be finished. All it needs is a new magazine tube and sent back. I am beyond disgusted. Browning is obviously not what they used to be. We have a kid on our you trap team, his mother is a single mother who scraped up the cash to get this kid a trap gun. He was shooting an 870, he wanted a trap gun for Christmas. She end up with a new Cynergy. After 10 boxes of shells the trigger guard fell off while on the 16 yd line during a shoot. Quality control must not be much anymore.

RutabagaDave thanked this.
  7. Ryan301

Ryan301 Member

Keep us updated on Browning's fix. The new A5 fits me well but I have seen and shot a couple 3.5" guns that had problems cycling shells (2.75"-3.5") so I did not buy one myself. A friend sent his A5 back to Browning and is waiting to see what can be done with it. I'm not a fan but if you want an inertia shotgun that doesn't need cleaned much, you can't beat a Benelli, even though they are priced ridiculously high.

8. Lagrue

Lagrue Member

I had 2 benellis prior to this gun, both shot very high and left. One was purchased new(M2), one was used(sbe2). The used one was much worse than the new one. While they did cycle everything I put through them, I could not hit anything with them. I finally put them on a pattern board and was shocked. I had a thread on trap shooters last yr. see attached link. The A5 does shoot straight. I love the way they fit and feel I have 2 of them. The a5 will not cycle anything less than a 1 oz load @ 1300 fps. with factory recoil spring. I have trimmed the recoil spring enough that it will cycle the 1200 fps 1 oz load. I will replace with new factory spring before shooting heavier loads. I talked to browning yesterday, they still havent looked at the gun and cant tell me when they will. I explained about how I had sent the Benelli back to the factory and had a 2 wk turn around. Although, they didn't fix it to my satisfaction, they did work on it and send it back. His excuse for this was that Browning is the only company that does all of their repairs in house. He stated that Benelli sends their stuff to mom and pop shops to get fixed. He stated they had gunsmiths working 6 days a week. If that is the case it sounds like they have alot of stuff coming back for repairs. I told him at this point I would love to just have the parts and get a gunmith to fix my gun. He stated that they could do that. I asked this question before I sent it in and they said they could not do that. He is supposed to be sending me the gun back with a new magazine tube. I only live about 45 min. from Rob Roberts in Batesville Ar. I will take it to him to fix it.

Making poi adjustments?

9. Lagrue

Lagrue Member

As of today, Browning still has my gun. It has been a little over 3 months, after being told it would be a 6 week turn around. I have missed duck season with it and now its pushing turkey season. Over 2 weeks ago, I asked that they send it back to me, with the part to fix it( magazine tube). I told them that I would just take it to a gunsmith and have it fixed. They agreed, and have yet to send it to me. Ridiculous!