1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with a math problem / Shot Maker

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gnprts, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gnprts

gnprts Member

I have made a shot maker and want to balance (If possible) the incoming amount of molten lead with the out going shot. I have a wall which holds the molten lead before it reaches the drippers and need to know what size hole to drill in order to accomplish this ..... The shot dripper holes are .0225" in diameter and I have fifteen of them. What size inlet hole will I need to equal them? ... Thanks

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is rather simple to calculate the area of a 0.225 hole and multiply that times 15, but that will not give you equal flow in and out of the shotmaker. First there is friction as the lead flows through the holes and the lead immediately begins to cool as it flows out. Because of these factors, lead drips out of the shotmaker but it would flow into the shotmaker as a constant stream.

Trial and error is the only thing I can suggest. An engineer, well founded in fluid dynamics might be able to make a close calculation if the lead was at a uniform temperature throughout the system.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.