1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need help with a clay target

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i friend found a box of clay targets in a local dump. they were wrapped in a paper dated 1932. the clay target is black with a yellow dome. it reads Blue 2 Remington Dupont Rock. any one seen one of these clay targets before?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have shot many yellow dome Blue Rock targets. They were very common as late as 1980. Because each stack is wrapped in newspaper suggests that they were distributed to stores that sold individual cases for people to use with hand throwers.

The date on the newspapers could indicate that the targets are very old. They would have a collectors interests but I would have no idea how to convert this interest into a monetary value.

Pat Ireland

3. smsnyder

thanks pat

4. R_T

R_T TS Member

This is interesting as I have 42 cases of these same targets in storage. They were in my father's garage and the newspapers they are wrapped in are dated 1973 to 1975. The reason I say "interesting" is that my father did not shoot clays. I've used a few of them at a time as targets on a 500 yd. rifle range.

Michael

5. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Hey Earl, I figured you would get on here when I gave it to you. Bet the boys on the Annie line I would read about my targets today. Thanks, I made another $10.00 to go along with the $70.00 I won.

The thing DOES NOT have a yellow dome boys.

It has a yellowish stripe almost washed out, around the outside edge of the dome. The center of the dome is black. The words BLUE ROCK, Remington, and Dupont are stamped on the dome. The numbers are different on the targets. Might be the die number.(?) The newspaper is the Cleveland Plain Dealer, dated Saturday, November 14, 1936 NOT 1932. Hell Earl, it was only last night. Memory is one of the first things to go huh? Remember the gas hose. LMAO

I don't think the kept the paper for 40 years so they could wrap them in the 70's. I've been shooting since 1971 and never shot any with this stripe.

NOW you have all the correct info.
    http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc5/AJ100_01/Pict0042.jpg

AJ100

6. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I worked as a trap boy in the early '60's, and don't recall paper-wrapped targets....

What would have been the point??

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Targets sold by retail stores to individual consumers were, and are now, wrapped to prevent breakage that results from multiple handling. Targets shipped to gun clubs do not have this additional protective layer.

Pat Ireland

8. smsnyder

aj100, you guys put me to sleep last night. you kicked my butt in annies. thanks for the clay target. i will frame that one. kind of neat. Goose hunting and doves sept 1. are you ready. By the way release triggers are out of the question in Annies. NEXT TIME> LOL

9. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Fayette Gun Club in Uniontown PA. had an "international" trap there in the early 80's. The targets for this machine were thicker, harder and not the same size as American targets. They DID NOT sell these targets in retail stores.

They were wrapped in newspaper.

AJ100

10. 425O&U

425O&U TS Member

I have a box of Remington Blue Rock tartgets that has Chrome Yellow on the box, and the complete dome os yellow, with the rim being black. The newspaper they are packed in is from "Republican-Courier" newspaper, dated December 3, 1965.

11. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Just got my camera and software working again. Here is a pic of the 1936 target some of you guys thought you were still shooting in the 80's. I inserted it into the post I made to help Earl remember what in the hell I gave him.

AJ100

12. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

I began registered skeet in the mid 60's and then and several years thereafter unwraped many a case of targets. These were targets sold to the various clubs and the were wraped in newpapers. We sometimes got a charge out of reading items from various cities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.