1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with 3 1/2" Browning Gold jams

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shoot em all, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

Need help with 3 1/2

A good friend of mine has a browning gold auto 3 1/2" and during dove hunt it would not cycle. He is undergoing chemo therapy with bone cancer and I wondered if anyone could give me some ideas to get it working. It was clean and he was shooting 3 dram factory shells. thanks jim weiner

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Need help with 3 1/2

Golds are notorious for jamming on the second shell. Usually the mouth of the shell hits just off center on the right edge of the chamber. Can sometimes cure it by bending the right lip of the lifter to the center .005 or so. The gun has a lot going for it re softness of recoil, price, etc but one in 5 works reliably.

3. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

Need help with 3 1/2

You are correct about the second shell being the one that jams. Will try the lifter bending. The ports are clear and piston is clean. thanks for input jim w

4. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Need help with 3 1/2

3 1/2 inch Golds were designed to shoot the big shells. If you want it to work with lighter loads, then I'd suggest that you shoot it 'wet'. Lube up the mag tube with either Breakfree CLP or Slip 2000, and it will work much better.

Browning also has several different sizes of gas piston's, for different size loads, that can be used for different applications.

Kip

5. brian meyerhofer

brian meyerhofer TS Member

Need help with 3 1/2

I had the same problem. Make sure the gun is clean, ports, action, etc. and then lubricate it with AMSOIL MP, that worked the best for me. I found AMSOIL MP works very well on my 1100's also, in all weather conditions, even extreme cold.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Need help with 3 1/2

check out above link. I had a gold hunter also that cycled poorly in colder weather. then a gold sporting that just had random multiple issues. I got a new tube and spring from surecycle.com for the hunter. I found this article after buying the sporting. I have been tempted to re install the action tube/spring on the hunter. The replacement tube/spring is stainless. I can also tell you that if you are not solid on your mount, especially with heavier cloths on it will not cycle correctly, like limp wristing a auto pistol.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Need help with 3 1/2

link is not working corectly.......google cleaning browning gold it will come up. PS for got to mention. My hunter came with a gas piston that says for 1 1/8 loads or heavier. my sporting came with same and one for 1 1/8 or less.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Need help with 3 1/2

or this............................

9. ZELMO1

ZELMO1 TS Member

Need help with 3 1/2

CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN and check the piston. The 3 dram loads won't always eject unless the right piston is in. Had a similar problem. I went to handicap loads and it went away. Al

10. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Need help with 3 1/2

My dad had a problem with his when he first bought it. The only thing he had to do was spray some oil inside the action/chamber. Been working strong ever since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.