1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with 22LR rifle selection

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by zzt, Aug 29, 2013.

1. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

One of my clubs is considering (a lead pipe cinch) a 22LR rimfire rifle plate & pin match that mirrors the now completed pistol course. Requirements are a max of 20 rounds fired at 19 targets, with a max of 10 rounds per mag. My only 22LR rifle is a Winchester, tubular fed that will not be competitive.

What would you suggest? I've looked at the Ruger/Valquartsen/Clark/Kidd variants of the Ruger 10/22, but I'm not convinced. Does the S&W MP15-22 and similar AR-15 style rifles merit consideration? I'm fine with the Ruger variants, but as a Vietnam era ground pounder, I'm very familiar with the M-16.

Recommendations and rational please.

2. dbuffington

dbuffington TS Member

Hi ZZT!

I'd strongly and happily recommend the M&P 15-22. The operating controls are just like an AR platform rifle. It's rugged, reliable and accurate. And it accepts all sorts of AR accessories, including trigger components.

Enjoy!
    Dave

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I don't think you can go wrong with the 10/22. There are so many modifications you can make, as you learn the game and compete, if you want to modify something, it will be available.

JON

4. GoldTrigger

GoldTrigger Member

Mrs. Gipson at the WSRC at Sparta has some Ruger 10/22t's.

I really like mine so far as our club shoots rimfire silhouette matches and these seem to perform real well.

5. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

We have had great luck with our S&W M&P 15-22. My son put a red-dot on it and it's a blast to shoot had has been very reliable.

SW

6. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

10-22. One of the best platforms available.

7. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

If money isn't an issue, id buy Valquartsen, they have a great product. I purchased a trigger for my 10/22 and installed it myself, I didn't have something right and called them to troubleshoot it. I was put thru to the owner himself and he asked if I would be willing to mail the barrel, receiver and trigger to him and he would set the trigger for me. I mailed it on a Monday, had it back on Friday. The trigger is flawless and very crisp. I wish I had just bought a complete Valquartsen to start with rather then changing barrel, stock, and trigger.

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

If Kimber was still making their original Model 82's I say buy one of those, but they aren't and Cooper wants stupid money for their version...so one of the 10-22 target variants is probably a wise choice.

Ron Burr

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    From personal experience the S&W MP15-22 and the CMMG .22 conversion uppers and complete rifles are pretty accurate, but they are NOT quite as accurate as a 10-22T.

For a bolt action, take a look at the CZ rimfires. They are accurate and priced decently.

10. Billetproof

Billetproof Active Member

You can not beat this rifle unless you would have got it from the CMP. This is an excellent rifle. I can clover leaf 3 shot groups from 50 yards with the peep sights and SK or Wolf ammo. I highly recommend it! And I love my 2 custom 10/22's.

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I sold a Kimber 82 to a customer who put a Weaver T-16 scope on it and then shot a bunch of 1/2" groups at 100 yds with Eley match ammo!!

Ron Burr

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recommendations so far, but let me clarify a bit. It has to be a semi automatic to be competitive. It has to have at least a 10 round mag, and a minimum of at least one mag change per run is required. We will be shooting 20 rounds offhand at eighteen 3", 4" and 5" metal disks and one 1" diameter bonus time disc (if you clear the first 18) at 25 and 50 yards. These are timed events, with time penalties for missed targets. This is a duplicate of the pistol course we shoot at 12 and 25 yards. It takes times of between 9 and 12 seconds to win the 12 yard event and 25-30 seconds for the 25 yard course.

I'm looking for something reliable and accurate with a good trigger and controls placed in such a way that speedy operation and mag changes are possible.

13. Dr Joe

Dr Joe Member

Take a look at the Remington 597 AR knock off. They come with bull barrels and are accurate. If you want one I have an extra that is like new. I bought each of my kids one an extra that I would.sell.

14. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

If you want to lay out 1500 bucks, go with the Volquartsen. I have shot one with an 18" carbon fiber barrel with compensator in Silhouette matches for the past 3 years. Deadly accurate, great trigger and outstanding workmanship.

15. oz

oz Active Member

I have shot one of these events. The rugers dodminated. We had to use 25 round magazines.

16. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Look @ what the leaders are shooting. Are the shooting the AR platform or the 10/22 platform?

A standard 10/22 with a good trigger will shoot as good as any at the speeds and ranges you are shooting. The target variations are just icing on the cake.

As in trapshooting, equipment is personal and subject to personal taste. If it was all the equipment, we all would be shooting the same guns.

You will pay 4 times more for the AR than the 10/22, but if that is what you want, go for it. If you are not sure, get the box stock 10/22 change the guts out and build a good trigger and get started. Once you are into it, you will know what works and a better idea of what you want and how it should be set up.

IMHO

OB

17. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

I picked one of these up last year before the panic frenzy, (Sig Sauer R522 22 LR Target 20")

It is a fine shooting 22. It uses AR mags So any .22 conversion mags fit it.

Fine shooting

Doug

18. Rubicon_Joey

Rubicon_Joey Active Member

I was going to say the marlin model 60 but you require mag changes and it's a tube fed gun. They make magazine models but I don't think they hold 10. Mine is more accurate than any box stock 10/22 I've shot.

It sounds like a 10/22 will be the best bet for you. Not sure what the budget allows but there are tons of bolt ons for it that make it more accurate and easier to shoot. I would suggest sticking with the ruger BX-25 mags or the new BX-25 X2, everything else I've seen just isn't reliable. The mag release on the 10/22 is terrible.. therefore I suggest picking up one of these (there are lots of different models of the same things, this is just one).....http://www.midwayusa.com/product/596824/tactical-solutions-performance-extended-magazine-release-ruger-10-22-aluminum-black?cm_vc=subv1666996
    It places the magazine release right in front of the trigger guard which is really handy.

19. hoythunter03

hoythunter03 TS Member

ZZT,

Like said above, the M&P 15-22 is a great, fun gun to shoot. I can't say that I've shot it at matches like you are talking about, but have shot thousands of rounds through mine goofing off trying to make up competitions with my buddies (fastest to knock all the cans down, reaction time, etc), with only an occaisional jam (probably due to needing cleaned or one of the FTF dud cheap 22 rounds). And it will run anything from the cheapo ammo to match ammo. If you keep it cleaned and a little bit of dry lube, it will run all day for you. My mother and sister, who rarely like to shoot, will sit out back and run 1500 rounds at soup cans per sit just because its so easy to shoot and FUN! I even have buddies bring their kids over to shoot it, because they want the fun of shooting a "cool gun" that they can handle. So if you know anyone like that, it could even serve as a dual purpose for you. Also, like stated above you can add AR components to it, so it could be dressed out as a match gun pretty easily. I've put a Vortex StrikeFire w/2x magnifier and couldn't be happier.

I know I may be way off topic for what you are looking to use this gun for, but wanted to let you know how much my family, friends and myself love mine.

Good luck deciding,

Jim M, MO

20. missemucho

missemucho Member

Go with the MP 15-22; they dominate the steel challenge events at our gun club. They accept all the "black gun" goodies plus (and this is a big plus) they are easy to clean. The 10-22 can be a bear to clean. The S&W may not have the pin-point accuracy of the Ruger but put a red dot sight on it and it'll be plenty accurate for the events you're going to shoot. I love mine.
    John

Search tags for this page

22lr bolt hold open 2 stage trigger