1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need help with 16 year cat.........

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by vdt, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vdt

vdt Active Member

my wife and i just inherited a male 16 year old cat,we live in a cold climate this time of year and i have the job of looking after his needs,is the some thing i can give him in his food to help improve his health and his coat,i was told be a Friend that oliver oil would help his coat..any....help would be appreciated

2. bighoss40

bighoss40 TS Member

be careful changing his diet
    cats can be really sensitive to ANY food change especially an old timer
    I would suggest keeping him in his regular routine and letting him ride out the last couple years in peace
    Hopefully we all are that lucky

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I feed Kitty shrimp. He goes nuts for them.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=001-2.jpg" target="_blank"> 001-2.jpg </a><a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=002-2.jpg" target="_blank"> 002-2.jpg </a>

4. bighoss40

bighoss40 TS Member

maybe some sardines packed in olive oil if his belly could handle it
    maybe he is a seasoned Tom and it would perk him up a little bit
    but I changed my cats diet and paid the price of diarrahea for several days
    thought I was upgrading the food to organic no preservatives and it reeked havoc

5. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

What a waste of good bait

Bob

6. bighoss40

bighoss40 TS Member

maybe some sardines packed in olive oil if his belly could handle it
    maybe he is a seasoned Tom and it would perk him up a little bit
    but I changed my cats diet and paid the price of diarrahea for several days
    thought I was upgrading the food to organic no preservatives and it reeked havoc

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I'm sure he would like a little warm milk. HMB

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Determine if he has he been on dry or canned food then get him the best food you can. If you change food, do it gradually over a week or more.

When I changed my cats to "Lifes Abundance" dry food their coats got dramatically better as did everything else. I feed the LIfes Abundance dog food to my bird dogs and they are also better. Their coats are better and they can hunt all day and be back for more the next day.

9. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

So many cats. So few recipes

10. burtona

burtona Member

"When I changed my cats to "Lifes Abundance" dry food their coats got dramatically better as did everything else. I feed the LIfes Abundance dog food to my bird dogs and they are also better. Their coats are better and they can hunt all day and be back for more the next day."

Dang! I might just try some of that stuff myself!

11. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

They sell shovels at the hardware store.

Jim

12. dhip

dhip Active Member

I have one about the same age.Before his teeth went bad he loved a food actually for dogs. Wildside Salmon,(come in a black bag with a cartoon looking dog on it),They do make it for cats in a smaller bag,BUT,,checking oz in bags,technically it's cheaper buying the larger dog size bag.they are a little expensive but I swear it helped his coat and health

Doug H.

13. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I often wonder what would be said if that header read "16 yo black lab hunting dog" instead of cat. That said,find a good vet thru friends referrals & have the vet recommend something. The cat should have a check-up anyhow.
    Should you not want to spend the $$$ then find an independent(not chain)pet store. Look at the ingredients list on the bag. The first item,preferably several items on that list,should read "meat,fish,etc. Then veggies & other amino acids,things like that. Stay away from ANYTHING that says 'meal,grains,etc' for the first 1/2 dozen items. Buy a small bag to try or ask for samples. Older cats are fussy at times. Again,use an independent store. They usually carry higher quality foods.

14. atadams77

atadams77 Member

Feeding shrimp is probably the best thing you can do. Feeding him any type of fresh or raw meat is best for cats. The absolute best is raw of course. It can be a lot of work but your cat will be tons healthier. Unfortunately all the problems most cats have theses days derives from all the corn in hard food. Corn is the worst thing for a cat. ESP in dry format.

The best.. What would kitty eat in the wild? Fresh meat of course. Mainly birds and small rodents. If u want the best for your cat get a meat grinder and grind up chicken Brest and thighs, small bones and all. Then add a mild vitamin supplement or some sort of natural fiber like pumpkin pack. That's a lot of work I know it. Alternatives: ground beef, chicken, turkey, or buffalo with a very mild vitamin sup. Like "kitty bloom ". Or a high protien can food of good quality from ur local pet boutique store. These specialty stores will even sell prepacked raw. Which is very good, and is what I feed. Such as "instinct raw".

If are interest in more facts just search google for "BARF" pet food. Tons of info on feeding raw.

Couple of tips: read ingredients stay away from all corn and wheat. Also don't listen to ur vet. They get paid to sell pet food in kickbacks.

15. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I just hope I have no friends who would bequeath me a 16 year old cat! Tom Rhoads

16. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Omga-3 fatty acids are good for the cats and dogs coats. Just buy the store brand of gelatin capsules with either fish oil or flax seed oil. find them in the vitamin isle. Puncture the capsule with a knife or tooth pick and spread on its food. will take a couple of weeks to notice a difference. While you are at it take a capsule for yourself. Good for circulation etc.

17. dhip

dhip Active Member

Just had linck with wife,mentioned your cat(she's the real cat person here) She usually gives hers a raw egg anytime she happens to be using eggs and cats are around.Has for years,cats last forever here,19yrs is usually when they move on.

Doug H.

18. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Shrimp is best-our 6 yr old Siamese goes beserk, as soon as any shrimp is introduced within her aroma zone.

Phil Berkowitz

19. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Phil:

We (wife and I) have a term for that. It's known as "shrimp nose". Shrimp nose is part of a larger category that includes bacon nose, chicken nose, and their favorites: tuna or salmon nose.

As near as we can tell, the 'aroma zone' is anywhere in the house.

sissy

20. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Shrimps is fer people.

Meow mix is fer felines.

Guy B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.