1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEED HELP - Winchester Model 97

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by whiz white, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

My doctor neighbor gave me a model 97 that fires when the forearm is slid forward. Was his father's gun.

I don't like working on these, but as a favor I am.

The trigger stays in the rear (pulled position) and this is why the hammer falls (will not say cocked) when the forearm is slammed shut.

I have had it cleaned in the parts washer, all apart back together and apart umpteen times. It's beyond me why it persists.

Any comments, other that use it as a wall hanger piece, would be appreciated.

Whiz White

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Whiz, are ya sure that all the parts are in the gun? Might be missing a spring. The firing pin isn't stuck forward is it? I have taken them apart many times and they are tricky to get back together correctly. One of the cowboy shooters has a website that goes into detail about them, I'll see if I can find it for ya.

Gne J

3. trapshootin hippie

Whiz, try this,http://marauder.homestead.com/irons.html

Gne J

4. whiz white

Thanks guys.

The gun has never been apart prior to me doing it.

The trigger is stuck in the pull position. There is a small coil spring at the top-rear of the trigger in the trigger housing that is in place.

I agree that it simply should be a wall hanger.

Again, appreciate the comebacks.

Whiz

5. trapshootin hippie

Whiz, without seeing it, if I remember correctly, the spring you are talking about holds the trigger in the pulled position when it is out of the receiver. Getting these things back together is a trick in itself. If I had it to look at, I could get it going for ya. These are good shooting guns when ya smooth em up. Used one for years cowboy shooting. If ya wanna get it going or wanna pert with it, lemme know if ya will, thanks.

Gne J.

6. honorable mention

honorable mention TS Member

If I recall correctly there is a trigger return spring( flat spring)located somewhat under the hammer spring. It has ears that slid into grooves on both sides of the trigger housing.

Warren

7. cle

cle Member

Whiz.........

Might Stu Wright be of some help getting it going properly??

8. whiz white

This gun is just too worn out.

I gave it back to the guy and told him to use it as a mantle hanger.

Thanks for all the help, and the link above was good too.

The flat spring was find, and removed prior to reinstalling trigger. The spring I was talkng about is/was the small coil that keeps the trigger in the pulled poistion if I remember correctly.

Whiz

9. nrasmus

nrasmus Member

Whiz,
    you can give this site to him run n iron custom guns. They specialize in anything cowboy and thier real specialty is 97's they did one for me very reasonable anyone who shoots cowboy action probably knows thier name and everyone around here shoots one of his 97's. He is a great guy to deal with and straight south of you in bertrand, NE. If your neighbor wants it to shoot this guy can do it. Hope this helps as having a shooting 97 is something that is very cool.

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.