1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEED HELP - Winchester model 61

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by , Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B²

For anyone out there that knows Winchester model 61's I have a question. I picked up what looks like a youth model 61. It has Lyman peep sight, short stock (LOP 11-1/4) and small forend, along with rings for a sling. The gun was manufactured in 1936. I've never seen one like this. The gun is in great condition and appears all original. Thanks for the help. Blair

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Blair: You didn't ask a specific question, so I assume you're looking for general info. I think you may simply have a modified 61. Someone likely added the Lyman sight and cut off the stock. I don't think a youth model was offered, especially with a Lyman sight. I hope I'm wrong because I love the 61 and it would be pretty cool if you found a rare gem.

-Gary

3. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Blue Book shows 24" barrels. No info on youth model or lyman sights.

4. setter

setter Member

I think the above site will be helpful. There were a number of factory options by request.

5. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

NO youth model 61's.

6. mlcameron

mlcameron Member

Hi Blair,
    Are you in need or parts, info or just moral support. Great guns. LR, or mix.... willing to help if we can.
    Mark

7. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

The sight might be right as that was offered and small forend was on the early guns.

8. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Not to hijack the post, but who is the best person to send a four digit, octagonal barrel model 61 to for restoration? It was my father's only gun and I grew up shooting it. Would like to get it back in good condition.

DoubleAuto

9. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

For restoration Stu Wright or Turnbull restoration. When I was heavy into collecting model 61s I never herd of a youth model. How ever there were many variations of the 61. Glad I still have a few left.

10. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Pictures would help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.