1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help: Stopping Dehumidifier Freeze Up

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blizzard, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Need to run a dehumidifier in my basement during the summer months to prevent excessive dampness. Live in Western NY where we get some pretty humid summer months.

Problem is, during this time of year, the basement is still very cool. This seems to promote the freezing problem. Should I just open the windows down there and get it warmer? Kinda like the temp. down there right now because it helps keep the house cool on the really warm days.

The unit does have adj. settings and I've tried it right down on the lowest of them and it still freezes.

Thanks,

Brett D.

2. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Most dehumidifiers will freeze up in basements unless you buy one specifically designed with a "defrost" cycle and a heating element to melt the ice on the coil. The unit will be labeled specifically as a "basement" or "low temperature" model with an indication of the minimum temp at which it will operate; mine are speced to 40 deg F. Lowes and other home stores sell such units for $120 to $180 depending on their capacity. They do cost a little more to operate because of the heating cycle but what's the alternative?

Mike

3. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I had the same problem. I put the dehumidifier up on a shelf about 4 ft. high and it stopped frezing up. Maybe its just warmer up higher but it workes. Glenn

4. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Brett, I live in the same area as you, and had the same problem. I agree with Glenn, raise it up. I`ve also noticed mine starts to freeze up when it gets a build up of dust on the coils, so I blow the dust out of it once a month and have no trouble.

Tom R.

5. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Raising the dehumidifier up off the floor does work, but it works because the damper cooler air collects near the floor. So raising the unit up into the air moves it up away from the air you need to dehumidify.

Mike

6. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Periodic defrosting on mine is required. The excess coolness in my basement was caused by the central air conditioner cooling the basement like the furnace heats it in winter. Closing and duct tapeing the vents help.

7. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Plug it into a timer and let it shut off for a few hours a day, to defrost.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

bigdave-

excellent idea!

9. incognito

incognito TS Member

I find mine works best if I also let a fan run in the basement to circulate the air.

10. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Thanks to all. Again.

Brett D.

11. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Instructions with some dehumidifiers say that the temperature in the area must be 65 degrees or higher. Larry Evans

12. Harold

Harold TS Member

"Raising the dehumidifier up off the floor does work, but it works because the damper cooler air collects near the floor. So raising the unit up into the air moves it up away from the air you need to dehumidify."

This doesn't sound right to me. The warmer air will actually hold more moisture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.