1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need help starting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by torqueman, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. torqueman

torqueman Member

Need some help new to trap, bought xt 32' tubes adj comb shooting 1 0z 16.4
    red dot . one eyed shooter left handed. im mod ckoke. I donnt seam to be
    doing eneny better than my old 28" field gun 19 -21 allday? Is my set up
    wrong or do I just need more practice!

thank JOE

2. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

You are going to get very confused with the information you are about to get. You need to work with someone were you shoot. The people on here are great but they can't see you shoot. If you progress to state that you can explain a known problem you will good information to work with. Tom

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sounds like your equipment is fine. I assume its a trap Browning. Depending on your previous shooting experiance and how long you have actually been shooting Trap, your scores are not that bad at all. Can you provide more info on yourself? I mean like how long you been shooting, how you approach the game of Trap, POI of your gun etc. etc. Hard for one to form any facts based on such little info.

I don't know what your expecting but starting anything new requires practice practice practice. It would also help to make sure your gun fits you right and possibly seek a Trap coach for some pointers. If your expecting to jump in this game and start breaking all 100 it just ain't gonna happen. There are those exceptions but for the most part sounds like your on par.

4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Matt has it right seek a good coach. It will help immenseley. If there is not one at your club seek one elsewhere. They are invaluable.

5. torqueman

torqueman Member

Thats true when im on the clays seem to break so easy then I can miss 3 in a
    row! One of the oltimers at the club said that im looking back at the front
    sight ,see says the orange sight on the xt is know for that.
    Thanks JOE

6. torqueman

torqueman Member

I know I need to patern the gun cant do that right now thiers three feet of
    snow on the field But that will be the first thing I will do when it melts.
    I were glasses how are the colored glasses most poeple ware very helpful ?
    Thanks Joe

7. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I like all the pellets I can get. Shoot 1 1/8.

8. torqueman

torqueman Member

nitro hanidcaps seam to help but thier not cheap
    Joe

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Nitro Handicaps are overkill unless your shoot'n from pretty far back on handicaps. You don't need more than 1145fps 1 1/8oz. I prefer the 1 1/8oz shot but nothing wrong with 1oz. either. Really be best to find a local coach. The colored lenses help to make the bird pop against the background. Not a must though especially for a beginner. It is not gonna make you better. None of the gimic extras will. Just a gun that fits and alot of practice and some quality one on one instruction.--Matt

10. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Joe,

The advice to get some instruction is good. Just be sure the person instructing is teaching you the best gun mount, stance, and body/head/neck posture (shooting form).

The risk in using a local to learn is that there is a chance that he will teach you how he has shot for 20+ years. Even if he is a very good shooter, he may not be using the shooting form that is currently being taught by coaches and trainers.

A certified instructor would be best teacher although he would also be the most expensive.

Rollin

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

As a one eyed shooter you have a built in handicap that needs to be worked with. Find someone who understands about that and get some help. The solution may be very simple but if you don't understand this subject well enough to figure it out on your own you are going to go through a lot of ammo learning what someone who gets it may be able to teach you in one lesson. Start here: "Why am I a one eyed shooter?"

I also shoot an XT and it is a fine trap gun.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

One more for finding a coach/mentor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.