1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help shooting with close BACK ROUND**********

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by srvfan, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srvfan

srvfan Member

I have a problem when I am shooting and the the back round is really
    close. Like for instance when you have tree's or other object's in
    your face. I think my eye's are focusing on the target and the back
    round at the same time because they are close to the same distance away.
    (I think)

Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem ever and what they
    do about it. Maybe everyone has this problem and I just have to deal
    with it ,not sure..........
    Thank you for the Help
    Paul from Ca.

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Shooters in Pennsylvania have this problem often because their trap fields were often carved out of woodlands. It's like shooting in a closet.

There really is no secret to doing it; you simply have to get used to the distraction and focus on the target. When the leaves are on the trees, using a lens color like Decot's V-lite will help subdue the green and intensify the orange of the target.

Morgan

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jim- This seems counter intuitive, but the best color of target I have seen against green trees is the lime green target. Hard to believe until you see it.

Paul- As others have said, both the trees and the target will be in focus. You have to concentrate on only the target. I have shot at many clubs where the shot hits the trees and one club where a few targets will hit a tree just before it hits the ground. I had problems at these clubs, but they were not related at all to the trees. I can lift my head when shooting against any background.

Pat Ireland

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I shoot most of my targets at two clubs that have close backgrounds and discovered that going to a club with a sky or long distance background was a difficult transition. My conclusion is that with a close background your perception of target speed is greater because there is a background that the target travels across so it looks faster than a target traveling across an open sky.

Consequently, if you are not used to that you may jerk the gun a few times as you think the target has beat your swing. Conversely, I have to not let those "floaters in the sky" lull me into shooting behind them when I shoot at clubs like Redlands and Kern County.

I also look for the target right at the edge of the house roof which has really slowed down the game and gives me a little extra time to perceive the target speed. YMMV

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I agree with Pat about the green targets against a green background. A couple of years ago I visited a club in Wisconsin that had a background of Pine trees. They were throwing green targets against the predominantly green background. I was skeptical at first; but those targets stood out like you would not believe! Ed

6. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Welcome to shooting "back East"!!!

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Massachusetts....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.