1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help settling a bet

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I have a friend who just happens to be the most frustrating individual on this planet. If I say that the sky is blue, he will say it's gray.

We both retired at age 65, and another one of our friends wants to retire at age 62. This guy plans on using the computer to start the so called paper work.

Here's the question. How old do you have to be to apply for Social security retirement benefits on line? One of us said you have to be 61.9 years old, and the other says 61.8 years old.

We have been going round and round on this. We have tried for days to get in contact with the local Social security office but neither of us can get through to them.

We have a $100.00 bet in this matter. If you know the answer for sure, please respond.
    Thanks,
    Steve Balistreri

2. senior smoke

Rick:
    Thank you for the info. This is what I told my friend and he said it's 61.8. He told me on some website it said 61.8. I told him show me thw website. If he is incorrect he will eventually pay up. He is so hard headed that he will need to see some proof.
    Thanks,
    Steve

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

61 years and 9 months = 61.75 years, rounded up that is 61.8 years. Looks like you loose senior.

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

That is the way I was looking at it. If you were going by strictly years, 61.8 is it. Years and months, a little different. Seeing as you listed it as 6.8 vs. 6.9 years, you might want to keep quiet, and hope he forgets. LOL

5. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Donate the proceeds and both will feel like winners. Ken U

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Senior may be you should go for a Masters Degree??

7. dhip

dhip Active Member

You may apply 3 months before your 62nd birthday.However a friend of mine just did thatand was enraged that he had to go a month wirhout ss pay.Inother words he has to wait until the month after he turns 62 to get his first check.

Doug H.(pa)

8. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Signed up 3 months before turning 62, my birthday is August 15 and I received my first check on the third Wednesday in OCTOBER!!!Of course I have by now received all the money I paid in and am starting on what my employers paid in on my behalf. Questioon ? where do you get informaton about Social Security? Postman, hairdresser, doctor, dentist. police chief, firechief, neighbors etc etc oh trapshooters .com???? Yep you guessed it the Social Security administration!!!!! go ahead and regester for your own account and see what you paid in over the years and what employers paid. Like someone posted 61 yrs and 9 months Bill

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/retire2/applying8.htm

9. senior smoke

I told my friend the ssn site says 61.9. I then told him 61.75 or 6.8. He kept on bit----- and moaning and I said if I give you $100.00 will you shut up? He said yes. I had a full case of old AA's in the basement from the late 60's that someone gave me years ago as a gift. He said he'd take those instead. I said take them, you old coot. I still think I won the bet, but he gives me a headache.
    Steve

10. eastcoastshooter

eastcoastshooter Member

You guy's have too much time own your hands HA HA> Should just went to the gun club and shot some targets, and bet on you hit the most in a row. Have a good day..

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

7.5's or 8's ???????

12. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Have you ever suspected that maybe he's trying to piss you off in the hopes that you won't talk to him anymore?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.