1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help setting up/planning a protection shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ljutic1964, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Ljutic1964

Ljutic1964 Member

I want to organize a protection shoot at the club I help with. I am familiar with protection, etc. What I would like to know is what type of format has worked for your club. How much to charge for team entries, make everybody use the same shell or not. How many targets, 50 or 100. Payoff(s), etc. If anybody has any experience with this type of shoot your help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony Jones

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

We shoot 25 bird protection shoots. $5 each entry ($10 team). Winning team gets half. Left hand shooter shoots first, backup fires if first shooter misses. If first shooter hits and backup fires, lost bird. 5 birds from each station. Shooters change position after each shot. We allow any legal ATA trap load.

3. Ljutic1964

Ljutic1964 Member

That is the typical protection that I am familiar with, I was really wanting to put together something "bigger" than your average meat shoot protection. Something with more money involved so we could get several squads.

T.

4. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Dr Longwind is the self proclaimed pro on this subject.. I'm sure he can give you a lot of idea's and helpful hints. From what he says he travels to many clubs so he can give you a broad picture of what is out there.

5. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

Left side (station 1) fires first and team member on right (station 5) can fire if first shooter misses. Anytime either lead-off team member or back-up shooter does not break target (if second shooter fires at a broken target it is scored a loss) it is scored a loss (or strike). When all team members have fired first at station 1, then station 5 leads and is backed my team member on 1. Start at 25 yd. line and move back one yd. after all team members have fired at first target. Decide on number of "strikes" allowed per team (generally two), after which that team is out. Continue until last team standing is the winner.

6. Ljutic1964

Ljutic1964 Member

That is an unusual way of doing it...

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I will send you a pm

8. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

Ljutic 1964: Can't comment if it is unusual but know it is well received by shooters, is fair to all shooters, can generate some reasonably good prize money for the winners and the club. Some clubs may even have a blind draw to determine team members to prevent "ringers" from winning all the money.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

WQe shoot several types of buddies, we shoot 10 birds like stated above charge $3.00 per man, that is $30.00 first place gets $12.00 $6.00 each. Second place gets $6.00 $3.00 each.

WE also shoot 50 bird buddies and 90 bird buddies entry is $25 per man $50.00
    per team for the 50 bird and $35.00 per man on the 90 bird buddy $70.00 team.

We sell each team and buyer gets 50% of the wining teams Calcutta only, and team gets the other 50%.

Normally pays 40/30/20/10 4 places paid there is also a 2 Lewis class pay out
    50/30/20.

The lewis class in the entry club decides the entry amount.

The Calcutta entry is $10.00 per team

Minimum starting bid is $10.00 if no one bids higher the team splits that cost.

There is no shell limit other than no 3 inch shells or buffered shot allowed.

Most guys shoot a new 1250 7.5s shells for first shot, I use 1 3/16ths oz #6s
    26 grs 800-X powder for line back up.

But that is shooters choice. Mandating ATA shells is too hard to enforce but we are not shooting ATA Targets either, they are wider, faster, and go farther.

The club I shot at tonite usually throws 36 buddy shoots a night and they make
    approx. $392.00 a night after cost of targets.

This is 10 bird shoots.

The larger 90 bird shoots make more.

I have a club I go to in Kentucky that holds a shoot twice a year, one is Wednesday before Thanksgiving. You have numerous ways to win, fist is from Calcutta 40/30/20/10 2nd is lewis class placement, 2 lewis classes. and we move after each 2 targets shot just like a 10 bird shoot.

it can be 6 10 bird or 9 10 bird shootoffs.

If a team breaks a 10 he is qualified for a shootoff from a club designated shootoff position, targets can be hand pulled or voice pulled.

Now remember you are shooting to break a 10 and you shoot 3 10 bird events per trap on 3 traps for 90 bird your score sheet is set up for 10 bird events.

I have seen $750 won in each 10 bird event, most guys will split ties, you can have any number of teams in the shootoffs as there are 9 of them in a 90 bird protection, it all depends on entries.

This is too complicated for me to type how the money is divided up, each club uses their per target cost to get that cost for entry. I don't have a payout sheet in front of me to give you the numbers.

But this is a real moneymaker for good shooters.

Way better than any ATA Event I am going to toss out an amount of $40.00 per man which equals $80.00 per team plus Calcutta buy.

This event will not work more than twice a year due to it's cost and size, you need a lot of parking space and we shoot this under the lights, all program traps are lighted up.

If memory serves me right the cost for this event is $2.00 per man $4.00 per team multiplied by 6 or 9 10 bird events, times the number of the shooters
    in the program, it is nothing to have 30 squads, shooters can shoot program twice but with a different partner, that's what gets the money in the shoot, as most shooters shoot it twice.

My son and his partner split Calcutta win money, first place lewis class money
    and 7 of the 9 10 bird shootoffs for a total win of $5,785.00 $2892.50 each.

This is one reason why a lot of shooters do not shoot ATA targets.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Also a long run from the front $2.00 per team

10. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Draw for partners! Don't be like Jaqua's who let the professionals team up and take all the money or gun prizes.

Clyde

11. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

We draw partners. Evens things up. We have a 6 bird race each person shoots 1st 3 times. 1$ in the pot. Split 50-30-20 from 6s &then5s then4s we start on the 27. This payout lets everybody have a chance at some money. We pay the club .20 cents a shell fired. Run what you bring on the shells. Shoot offs end about the 60 yard line.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

$10.00 each shooter, draw partners, shoot from 30 yards, keep moving back to 45 yards, Legal ATA loads, miss and out so you can get more games in ... You want to put more money in the game include a Calcutta, minimum bid $10.00 by the team ... 50/30/20 - 60% buyer / 40% shooters on the Calcutta ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Dr.Longshot

Well last night at Shiloh Ohio Snake Rd they shot off 1/2 of jackpot, they had 15 squads, 72 teams in Calcutta, winning scores were 58-57-56 out of 60 birds
    angles were wide and high on one trap, and a little low and not as wide on the first trap, shooters were allowed to shoot it twice w/different partners, scores paid were 58-57-56-55-54-53 lewis class 51-50-49 there were 3 other winning scores but I cannot remember them, I got home at 4:00am it is a 2 hour drive to the club for me.

This was a very big buddy shoot, you choose your partners, Dennis Devault was there and shot it with one of his Infinities.

Doing draw partners is not a good idea we have found, you need a partner that has the same or close shooting timing as yours, I do not see where draw partners is a fair, Target cost is approx. #.20, plus you get a ticket for the drawpot $1.00 from each shooter gets drawn right after Calcutta is sold.

We hardly ever get that many squads on an ATA shoot around here, but you shoot tough targets and they are fast w/wide angles, I only wish they shot White Targets, shot under the lights, harder to see the Black Rimmed Red Targets.

If you all want a program like this contact Rayman for a blank payoff sheet that has all options listed and costs.

We do not have any problems w/Big Dog shooters dominating the shoot, These game playing guys know their shells and their abilities.

Leo Harrison has shot this shoot when he has been the area w/another Top dog, and they went away w/their tail between their legs.

They have tried numerous times, but with no results, they cannot handle the tough 4 hole style of targets going 60-70yards.

They do not have shooter domination in shoots, very spread out, I shot a 1250 trap load on 1st shot, and my backup load is 26 Grains of 800-X 1 1/4oz #6s.

If targets are really wild I use my Longshot loads 30.1 grs Longshot, STS style hull w/WAA12F114 wad 1 1/4oz#6s @1385fps for backup. But I stay w/1250fps shell for 1st shot such as Winchester Super Handicaps.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Dr, How did you do on this particular shoot?

Clyde

15. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Don't know if you will get an answer........He's pretty shy when bragging about his accomplishments!

16. Dr.Longshot

Clyde broke the house score 53

Gary