1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help Setting Up Adjustable Comb

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 28410, Jul 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 28410

28410 TS Member

I currently shoot an unsingle with an adjustable comb. I would like to raise the comb to achieve a more heads up fit. I am having trouble staying the in the gun and also seeing the target. I shot a friend's gun with a high comb and it felt better and I seemded to acquire the target better. If I raise the comb my eye will be well over the the rib. I can raise the rib about two more clicks. Any advice on how to raise the comb and keep my current POI and do this best to avoid frustration? Thanks!

2. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

You're going to need an adjustable butt-plate to get the more heads up fit.

Raising the comb is just going to raise the POI.

Jim

3. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Are you going to be able to raise your present comb with the hardware that you have to get the desired heads-up positioning you want? I put an add-on rib and ordered taller posts to my KS-5 Special to get the height I wanted.Steve

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

You can raise your comb AND raise the front of your rib to maintain your POI. However, if you really want your head high, you will need the adjustable butt pad.

A straight neck won't keep you from "lifting your head". In most cases, it is not lifting your cheek off the comb, just a small rotation/tilt back that's enough to change your eye position so that you shoot under the target.

5. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

JBrooks, maybe I don't understand what you are saying about tilting your head and changing eye positioning, but I thought that would cause you to shoot over the target. Steve

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Lifting/rotating/tilting your head back changes the intersect of the line from your eye to the target and the line through the center of the bore of your gun by opening the angle. In effect your eye has left your barrel behind(below) and your gun shoots lower than where you are looking.

Unless you are riding the target to darn near the top of its arc or really give the gun a hard jerk up, it is pretty hard to shoot over a legal rising target.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Alright, let's take a shot at this.

First thing you'll need to do is tell us what kind of gun you have. Some have adjustable ribs, that when moved, also must have the comb move with them. Examples are...Brownings, Perazzis, Kolars.

The only gun I can think of right now that does not need the comb to move after a rib adjustment is the K-80. Actually the rib stays stationary...the bbl moves.

Lets assume you have one of the first guns. You will need to determine what POI you are comfortable with. Shooting a few targets and patterns will tell you this. Remember, while shooting these patterns, you need a steady rest, and will be aiming the shotgun like a rifle. If the gun has two beads, and you prefer to shoot with those beads in a figure 8, be sure to pattern them the same way.

Comb height isn't that critical just yet. You can roll your head forward or back to achieve the sight picture for patterning. If getting into the correct postion is difficult, then move the comb.

Now you have the GUN shooting where you want it. Next step is getting the gun adjusted to YOU. As mentioned by the previous posters, the drop at the heel(the whole pad) will need to be increased (lowered).

The difference between most std ribbed guns and higher rib guns, is about 1/2", so lets start with that. Lower the pad 1/2". By lowering the pad, be sure that when you mount the gun, the newly positioned pad comes to the same spot on your shoulder as before it was moved. I've seen some shooters mount the gun's pad lower on their chest...this defeats the purpose of moving the pad. By making sure the pad is sitting in the same spot, brings the whole gun, stock, comb, receiver, and bbl higher.

With the gun now coming up higher, you head/face will not positon itself on the comb as it did before. Previously, you were probably rolling you head forward a little bit, but now it shouldn't be as much. With the head being a liitle more erect, your eye has also changed position. It may now be a little higher, seeing some space between the beads. If there is enough room for adjustment, you can now lower the comb back to the original figure 8. The gun should pattern the same.

Using the above, you can increase or decrease until you're comfortable. Just remember, don't move the rib, unless you're looking for a POI change.

There are a few disadvantages in setting up a std/low rib gun to shoot like a higher ribbed gun. The biggest is that the center-line of the bore is no longer close to the center-line of the stock. Keeping the bore centered as close to possible to the center of the buttstock helps keep the recoil in a straighter line. Moving the bore higher will cause the gun/bbl to rock up during recoil, maybe leading to a bruise on the check. This is the reason for a higher rib.

Doug

8. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Better listen to em. Voodoo, Brooks, and Gun DR. are right on. Hard to beat a good, Hands-on fitting session. All your questions answered and some problems solved too. For less money than you will spend on a weekend shoot, you can be professionally fit. Todd

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Steve, both you and brooks are correct it depends on where the line of sight is in relation to the bore line. If your line of sight is degrees negative of parallel with the bore the gun will shoot high. How ever if your line of sight shifts upwards without moving the barrels up a corresponding amount the line of sight will be degrees positive from parallel and the gun will shoot lower.

Brooks I'm impressed!

Ditto on what Dr Gun and Todd said.

Joe

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

You guys have any one you can refer me too. Boston Ma.

11. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

WEll yes sir I do. Find the best fitter you can find, and travel to him. Im booking appts for Aug already. Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how did you set up your comb on your k-80
how to set comb on shotgun
how to set up adjustable comb on shotgun

how to set up comb on you gun stock

setting up a adjustable comb

setting up adjustable comb

setting up an adjustable comb