1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help: Rolex President 18K Mens Watch

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by too fast, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. too fast

too fast TS Member

I've been cleaning out the jewelry box and was wanting to sell my Rolex but don't have a clue as to what it's worth. It's the President watch in 18K gold with an upgraded band & comes with 2 faces - standard pearl & upgraded onyx and diamonds. Prefer to sell on Trapshooters rather than e-bay. P.M. me or call Jim (916) 599-3314 PST.

[​IMG]

2. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

If you want to sell it on the internet you will need close-up photos that are in focus and show the conditon of the entire watch - cell phone photos won't make it.

Questions you need to be able to answer are:

Serial number? Last time it was serviced? Do you still have the original receipt, paperwork and boxs it came in? Size of the band and if has any sag?

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

You need the correct factory ref. # & ser. of the watch, in this case, it's located between the two lugs at 12 & 6 O'clock. Be careful when you take off the bracelet, don't scratch the watch case.

The correct official name of the watch is Day-Date. President is the name of the bracelet.

Ref. # will be something like 1803 (look like yours), 18038, 118238 etc. Prices can be few times different between them.

There's a published monthly price sheet call SPECHT SHEET, it's the price the dealer would pay to BUY your watch. The Grade II DD1803 is $3,700 in the current sheet.

IMO, if everything is factory, a nice 1803 will worth $5,000~6,500 depend on the condition, but this is for a 1803, if it's 118238 that'll be much higher, close to $12,000.

The black dial doesn't look like factory, the bark bracelet, and the non-standard bezel will affect price for sure.

4. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Try this

First, locate the current price of the Rolex model you are pricing. The easiest way to do this will be to call or visit your local Rolex dealer. Rolex watches are often worth 70 to 80 percent of the current model's base price, with some variation for condition and rarity.

While speaking to a local dealer, ask what the purchase or trade-in price of your watch would be. Many dealers will give decent trade-in values, but not cash prices. Use the trade-in value as a baseline.

Search the Rolex Forums for posts asking about your watch type and value (see References).

Go to the Sales Corner on Timezone.com (the largest sale-by-owner watch site on the Internet), and search for your model of Rolex. This will show you what the models have been selling for in recent weeks.

Contact a local antique or jewelry dealer and have him appraise the watch, preferably a jeweler who will not attempt to purchase the watch, as that will often lead to a lower price quote

Read more: How to Look for Values on a Rolex Watch | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6369201_look-values-rolex-watch.html#ixzz1gg5DhsAt

Oscar

5. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Look on the internet for average pricing.

Most Jewelers frown at giving free appraisals, so you might have to pay for one, especially if they are Rolex dealers.

Problem if you sell on Internet is the Pay Pal thing. You may able to get around it but the fees are pretty stiff regardless.

Regards...Gerald

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

I would also send it to Rolex to have it services. This does a number of things for you. First they buff up the watch to make it almost new and they supply a 1 years worldwide Rolex Guarantee and it proves its not a fake. Use only ROLEX.

This will help you sell it.

Tom

7. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

A twenty thousand dollar watch found when cleaning out the jewelery box? Box? Papers? I would think you would have them?

blade819

8. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

if you send it to a Rolex Service Center, a lot of people on the Rolex forums suggest sending it to the service center in Dallas and avoid the service center in NY. The one in NY seems to have poor feedback, with the techs not doing proper parts replacement.

Bob Ridley comes highly regarded for servicing. He charges a bit more to service a watch than the service center but then again he is not some hourly tech working at the service center neither. Food for thought.

http://www.watchmakers.com/

9. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

There is a pretty significant market value difference between the different models of the Day-Date watch. If I was selling one, I would re-read DBBill, Steve W, and TBaber's posts and follow their advice.

If the diamond dial is not Rolex original, Rolex will quote a new dial or re-install the original dial before they service the watch. They will not service a watch with non-Rolex parts.

I have also head positive experiences when people dealt with Bob Ridley.

10. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Better yet send it back to the factory in Geneva. A little hassle but worth it.

Two of my customers sent theirs back and couldn't believe it when they came back.

Almost new, they both said.

One case (Submariner) was so nicked up they had to replace it along with the dial.

Not cheap but much better than here.

Regards....Gerald

11. too fast

too fast TS Member

Thanks for all the help. What a great site we have here, you can always get great information on here from some very knowlegable people. Here's some answers to some the question posed: Onyx face says Rolex, Oyster Prepetual,Day Date and then below Superlative Chronometer,Officially Certified. I don't have the box or paper work but I have had the watch for over 20 years. It is due for it's regular cleaning as it has been around three years since last cleaning. Still keeps great time. At that time I would replace the crystal and have the band tightend as there is some sage in the band. I'll have to get a jewler to pull the band for the #. Thanks again for the help. Jim

12. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

You can remove the bracelet with a small screw driver for glasses.

RSC service is expensive, last time it cost me $1,200 for an old DD, $675 for a Sub. My advise is, if it keeps good time, don't mess with it. that's what my watch maker told me.

13. lwr_

lwr_ Member

When I was in the Navy we used buy these in Hong Kong and Singapore for $10.00. That looks like a Hong Kong special if ever I saw one!!

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yeah, and I bought a Perazzi from Yo Phong in New Guinea for $200. With case.....

15. too fast

too fast TS Member

Thanks LWR I can tell your a Rolex expert. Thanks for sharing your wisdom with me. Jim

16. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I thought the President model had a diamond bezel.

17. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I recently spent almost $800 have a stainless datejust serviced that my wife paid $325 for new in December 1971. This was the third time it has been serviced/rebuilt. I'd never buy a used one without the satisfaction of knowing that Rolex had just serviced it.

18. too fast

too fast TS Member

Thanks Rick but this is a Rolex bezel. Jim

19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I think we have a fish on

20. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

You guys are a hoot! Tom Rhoads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.