1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help?? Removing Oil/Grease Spot???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mixer, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Now that you washed the shirt the stain is set in forever. Buy a new shirt and don't do it again.

Eric

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Drew- I can not help you out of your spot with the spot. If it might make things a little better at home, I have done the same thing a few times. Just tell your wife you know a careless shooter who has ruined many shirts and you have only messed up one.

Pat Ireland

3. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

Three step process.

First, try a waterless hand cleaner on the spot like gojo. Rinse in running cold water.

If that doesn't work try Oxy Clean on the spot. Soak in Oxy Clean in warm water. Wash in cold water.

If that doesn't work go to the grocery store and get some Carbona cleaner. It comes in avariety of types, one of which is for oil and grease.

If that doesn't work buy a new shirt. By the way, with no-iron shirts recently developed I am replacing all of my shirts with the no-iron variety. Whoever figured out the no-iron shirt is my nominee for the Nobel Prize.

4. washandwear

washandwear Member

I would spray the spot with Gun Scrubber. It dissolves grease spots on the cement garage floor just great.

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Simple Green...I have used this product for years and it's worked well for me...treat the stain with it full strength...then emerse the shirt in a bucket or sink in COLD water...use a clean brick or rock to keep the shirt submerged...let it soak for a week...then wash it normally...you may be amazed at what that stuff can do with grease/oil stains...

6. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

From your local bearing supply house, Safety Solvent..electrical cleaner,aerosol, (contains Trichloroethane).
    It has saved my butt a couple of times for doing much the same.

Big Jack

7. Automan

Automan TS Member

Or just have it dry cleaned as oil and grease are solvent soluble. J Cooper

8. ChairborneRanger

ChairborneRanger Member

You are almost certainly going to have to use a petroleum-based solvent to remove the stain. Ever take organic chemistry?----one of the "laws" is "like dissolves like"----ergo, you need a petroleum-based solvent, not a water-based solvent or other surfactant.

My suggestion would be to try lacquer thinner.

9. atashooter

atashooter Member

Go-Jo without pumice ... smear it on, let set 10 min, wash.

10. old pipe

old pipe TS Member

Use brake clean. Put a clean rag under spot, spray brake clean on spot, rub spot
    with another clean rag. Might have to do it several applications. Flood the
    spot with the brake clean. Good luck. pineapple

11. Bob Merkov

Bob Merkov Member

Brake Clean or starting fluid should do the job. Just be careful where you do the spraying. Do it in a well ventilated area or outside the house.

12. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

Try spraying it with WD-40 and then blot it with a towel. Then before washing apply dawn dish washing liquid to the area and work it in. Worked on my carpet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.