1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help Remington LT20 problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by new loader, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

I have an LT20 that is having problems feeding the 2nd shell. It comes out of the magazine OK, but when it gets lifted up, it seem to go too high. The nose of the shell hits the rim of the chamber and stops. Just seems like the shell is coming up too high. I replaced the action spring, carrier latch and carrier latch spring. This has helped, but still have 2-3 malfunctions per 25. Where should I look next?

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Brian in Oregon seems to have a lot of expertise regarding this particular shotgun, and is happy to help others. I'll bet he'll comment soon.

-Gary

3. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Try oiling the extractor hook. Make sure it moves free.
    Jimmy

4. new loader

new loader Member

Still searching for ideas.

5. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

I have fixed a few, most of the time it is the carrier that got bent from pushing up on the carrier before the latch is depressed..

6. new loader

new loader Member

Still can't get this right. I replaced the carrier assembly per trapjoe suggestion, but now the bolt won't lock back. I examined both carriers and the alignment tab is different. Would this have anything to do with hold open? The old carrier on left is bent inward farther, and the new one (right) has more of a hook on it.

newloader_2008_030335.jpg

7. 3200k80

3200k80 Member

As suggested earlier do you examine the extractor for wear and does it move freely?

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You've replaced the usual suspect, so at this point I don't know. And this is an uncommon problem. It's not even in the troubleshooting manual. At this point I'd try swapping the trigger group with a known good LT-20, and also try another barrel. But LT-20s aren't all that common, so that may not be possible. If you were in the Portland area I'd swap my parts onto your gun for testing.

9. 333t

333t Member

I would check the interceptor latch, spring, and retainer located inside the receiver. If the spring or latch breaks, feeding will be out of time or may not even function.

Phil

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The Interceptor latch does not come into play unless you have two shells in the magazine. If your tournament gun only shoots a maximum of one in the mag and one in the chamber, you can take the Interceptor Latch out of the gun and it will work fine. Of course, if you put two shells in the mag, you have a major malfunction to clear.

If I have a gaspipe to loan or shoot on the clay target field, I typically put in a plug that only allows one shell in the magazine.

Your carrier may be too high for your receiver.

Take a padded screwdriver, wedge it under the carrier from the front. Set it up to pry against the receiver in front of the carrier. Gently bend the carrier down a little at a time, try until shell feeds smoothly. I have found that the front of the carrier should be barely visible from a side view on these guns.

I have done this numerous times on the 1100/'87 Remington.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I dismissed a bent carrier because it was replaced with a new one. I don't recall that replacement carries need to be tuned to the gun. Seems odd it would be bent too.

12. new loader

new loader Member

The most urgent question is why won't it lock back? Until I get get it to stay open, the feed problem is secondary. Does a section of the carrier interact with another piece to create the hold open?

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If the bolt won't lock open the problem could be a bent or broken carrier latch. It has two little feet that a pin goes through, see if one of those is broken. HMB

14. new loader

new loader Member

Brand new 20ga shells.

15. new loader

new loader Member

The plot thickens. The profile of old/new definitely shows the new carrier to be more curved. However, the new carrier does not have the tab immediately above the release button and the forward tab is a different shape.

newloader_2008_030336.jpg

16. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Why dont you just bend the old carrier down where it should be and use it, they get bent all the time, just bend it back and try it.

17. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I ocassionally get a few 1100s into the shop with feeding problems. Here's the route I generally go...

Remove the carrier latch. As mentioned earlier, it's possible that one one the pivot holes is broken...even the pivot pin can break. Because the carrier latch is under a lot of spring pressure, this can push the latch out of position from the carrier.

While the carrier and carrier latch is removed, clean the carrier latch spring and plunger. Don't forget the hole in the housing, it collects a lot a crap, sometimes hindering the movement of the plunger.

Next I would look at the carrier. Short of being bent, you should be able to see if anything is broken, such as the silver release button, it's pivot pin, or even the little finger that points to the rear of the carrier (your picture above.

If all appears fine, then it's possible for the carrier to be bent. It's almost impossible to see this. Most of the guns I see have the carrier bent down, preventing the shell from rising high enough to the chamber. Instead of attempting to "bend it straight", I just replace it. When I replace the carrier, I replace it as an assembly, this will include the carrier dog (the part the bolt pushes on.

Rarely do I have to adjust the tab that locks into the carrier latch, but when I do, it's usually down, so that the tab passes through the square hole in the latch.

The "pointy finger" shown in the photo you posted earlier, may need to be tweaked a little. When the shell is release from the magazine tube, it smacks into the carrier latch. If that little finger is bent too much in, it could prevent the carrier latch from rotating back, releasing the carrier. The shell will lay on the carrier.

The "pointy finger" (sorry for the lack of the exact part name)cannot be bent out so far that it does not catch the latch. You'll have intermittent feeding problems. Sometime the carrier will release, sometimes not. The carrier latch must snap behind that finger.

Seeing that you have replaced the carrier assy, it could be that you got one not bent right if it's still lifting the shell too high. Remington guns are about the most consistant parts replaceable guns out there.

Doug

18. new loader

new loader Member

OK guys, the lock back problem has gone away. Gun Dr. suggestion to adjust the tab that locks into the carrier latch so that the tab passes through the square hole in the latch was a good tip. My new carrier did not. I made no other changes, so maybe that was the cause. The feed problem is inconclusive until I can get out & shoot the thing. The proof is in the pudding, but everything feels good and sounds good, so I am confident in the fix. Thanks to all for the good advice.

19. new loader

new loader Member

Update to anyone interested: The gun operates flawlessly, better than new. All good advice and thanks to those who contributed. I think the definitive problem was the carrier and other replaced parts were probably not necessary, but probably did not hurt to replace either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.