1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help! Reload Recipe for Promo

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blizzard, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I use Fiocchi primers, and yesterday I picked up a jug of Promo. Also, only use STS hulls. In the past, I always used Clays. Anyway, went to Alliant's site for data, and their is no Fiocchi primer data, and only 2 Win. primer recipes, which are of no interest to me. Loading 1 oz. Help?

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

You'll need a wad for the load to work, too. The good news is that one ounce PROMO loads in STS hulls are low enough pressure you can fairly safely substitute your Fiocchi for the Winchester primer. A good load is 18.0 grains PROMO and a Remington TGT12 or Winchester WAA12SL wad, one ounce of shot, and a STS or Nobel Sports or Winchester primer. The Fiocchi should not raise pressure too much if you add that to the list.

3. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Thanks Bob, but I wasn't concerned about the wad at this point. Was looking for info so I could run the Fio./Promo together with an sts hull.

I see what Alliant is doing with their data. They pretty much stick with like manufacturers as far as hull/primer combos. If you look at Fiocchi hulls, there's alot of recipes with Fiocchi primers, Win, with Win., Rem with Rem, etc.

4. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

\You can substitute Fioochi's for STS by reducing the load .5 Gr. with no problem. The F616 fall between the STS and Win209 for strength. Richard

5. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Thanks for all of your input. I was at 19.5 promo, win. pink, sts hull and fio. primer. shot 25 last night and didn't like it at all. Just dialed it down to a touch over 18 with the same components. Should be good to go. Thanks again.

I have a 500 bird road runner to shoot on Sat. and had gotten a flat loaded with Clays and ran out. Couldn't resist the price on the Promo, but wanted to keep the speed consistent with the Clays loads that I already had. Hence, my dilema when I went to the Alliant site.

Might even just load 500 of the 18 gr. Promo load. and shoot the others for my league. I hate any inconsistencies. I'm still getting used to a new gun and don't need something else in my head. Even though at 16 yds the difference in the two loads is probably nill. Anyway, thanks again.

Brett D.

p.s.- this is also my first road runner.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

blizzard

18.0 grains of Promo works. I use a CB1100-12 Claybuster wad, 1oz of shot, Remington Hull, Winchester 209 or Fiocchi 616 primer (only in the summer). I get about 1200 - 1220 fps. The CCI209M, Federal 209A, and the RIO G-600 are three I'd stay away from when loading 18 or more grains of Promo or Red Dot in this combination. I've had a few off sounding loads with the Fiocchi primer in colder weather while using almost any wad in this load. I'll use them in the warmer weather without any issues.

7. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

I found that a little over 18 gave me a cleaner burn and consistant velocity. 1200 with 18.3 in my gun, 1 ounce, Downrange or Claybuster and Cheddite. Use the same powder charge for 1 1/8 of 9's for a skeet load, its 1170. Also use the same 18.3 with 7/8 of 8 1/2 for my 16 and practice at about 1220. I heard from a friend that Promo is Red Dot without the red flakes, maybe not true but that could explain the volumetric difference with same charge weights. So far have used up 8 and 1/2 jugs of the stuff and plan on sticking with it. Also make a lot of 45 ACP loads using 4.3 and a 200 grain Billy Bullet.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

blizzard, you didn't get any bum info here, but why not call Alliant. Their ballisticians will be happy to talk to you. They have data on many more loads than they publish, and may be able to give you the pressure and velocity data of the load you are using. They will tell you if that load worked well, and why they did not put it in the loading data. I know, because I asked, they have a lot of W209 data for STS hulls that they didn't publish.

9. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Thanks.

10. Sargentyork

Sargentyork TS Member

Use any existing Red dot Loading data and they will shoot the same I agree 18grns of Red dot was the stand by for years and 17 grs with a 1 oz load should be nice and soft. Sarg

11. ilive4skeet

ilive4skeet TS Member

Log on to Alliant's Web site and go to the Contact Us section. Call the number and the "Inventor" of PROMO will be happy to talk to you about your load. I did this a couple of times. He really re-assured me that I was making a quality load. I also met him at the NRA in St Louis earlier this spring. He told me that they are in the process of building up loading data for PROMO. He also said that any recipe for Red Dot will work but you may have to drop a bushing or two to get the same weights. Throw the same weight as red dot calls for and you should be creating a load that has the same pressures, velocity, etc.

Mike Mates

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Same as Red Dot, just watch the weight. Promo has some density variations, you can't depend on bushings. Use a scale.

HM

13. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

If you want to try it use a Red Dot recipy for Fed. 209A primer and use a fiochi primer and 1/2 grain less Promo with a WJ wad. I patterned some today with Fed. Gold Medal, Fedral Top Gun, Rem gun Clubs and 18.4 Promo and WJ wads with the exception of the Gold Medal which had a 12S3 wad. with a 42/1000 restriction they all patterned tight with 7 1/2s at 35 yards.

Post-2

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

I use 17.3 gr of Promo with either the Claybuster 1100 or Green Duster wads.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.