1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEED HELP REFINISHING A STOCK!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i picked up a rem 870 tb stock with beautiful wood. the previous owner said for some reason the finish started to buble and he used a pin and the finish just lifted off the stock very easy. this is an old 870 tb stock from the early 70's. with all the finish off the gun, i would like to refinish it now. does anyone know of any product that i can hand rub into the stock that will give a glossy finish, something like what remington uses on their trap stocks?
    thanks,
    steve balistreri

2. capvan

capvan Active Member

Well, I am no expert and have only refinished a few stocks, but I use boiled linseed oil. I keep rubbing it in until the wood won't absorb any more and put more on every year or so. It just keeps getting better and it's very tolerant of minor bumps and bruises. But...it's not glossy. Far from it. But it sure smells good!

Bruce
    KB1IIX@arrl.net

3. AlanM

AlanM Member

Smoke

I used a product called Hi-speed Linseed Oil Gun Stock Finish, by G96. This was used on an old Remington 22 that I had to scrape the old junk off. The stock came out with a nice glossy shine and hard. Takes several coats, but worth the results. This was the first and only stock I did, and after many years it still is holding up.

Alan

4. senior smoke

sounds good so far. i wish their was a product that you could just put on and presto, it glossy and shines like the original finish, but i am sure it will take some time to do it right.
    thanks,
    steve

5. rebelace

rebelace TS Member

i just used tung-oil after stripping stock i put on 10 coats looks awesome
    i also use a pre-catalized lacquer which requires spraying it is also moisture
    resistant

6. senior smoke

i have never used tru oil, might consider giving it a try. question is, can any after market product make this stock look as good as remington's original finish when the gun was new?
    steve

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Tung oil. The more coats you put on the better it gets. HMB

8. senior smoke

i have 2 stocks that i am now refinishing. i decided to try one with "tru oil", the other with "clear coat" used in the auto industry. i will see what i like best. i spoke to a gunsmith about refinishing stocks. i asked him how many coats does it take to fill up the pores of the wood? he said each stock is different.

steve

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I was involved with Protostar Industries. We made ALL of Weatherby's wood stocks for years until we parted ways basically due to accounts receivables.

We used a product called Permalyn and I think I have a picture of the can. We purchased it from Brownell's over in the next state east of us, Iowa.

We used to mix walnut dust and hand rub the finish on, the wet/dry say smooth and repeat the process, then finally spraying a final coat on. We thoroughly dried the stocks and then they went to the buffing wheel. That is where you can see the polish and glisten of a Weatherby stock. We would then laser the checkering or the scroll work, hit with a coat of Permalyn and it was done.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=7785&st=permalyn&s=

Brownell's link is above, and here's what looks like...

[​IMG]

Whiz White

10. senior smoke

whiz white-thanks for the info.
    steve

11. wm rike

wm rike Member

A friend uses TruOil to get absolute glass-like finishes. He cuts it with thinner, one part to two parts TruOil, and sprays it. I'm not certain, but I think he just does a single application. He has messed around with the automotive clear coats, but they require multiple applications and are more brittle.

As for firsthand experience, Permalyn is easy to use right out of the can, applied either by hand or with a gun. Probably doesn't have the nth degree of gloss like TruOil. It's a matter of how much gloss you want.

There's a whole fistful of fine oils out there, but they produce a softer finish that's not often seen on a trap gun. Too, trap guns are exposed to a lot of sweaty hands and honest-to-goodness oils aren't very tolerant of that environment.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Wood has pores. To get a high gloss finish, you need a smooth flat surface. This means the pores must be filled. This can only be done by putting on a few coats of finish ans sanding them back down. The finish will finally build up in the pores and these indentations can finally become filled and flat with the surface of the wood. The quickest way to do this is with a sander-sealer. After everything is flat, then a few finish coats of about any type of finish you prefer can be applied.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

g 96 gunstock oil

how to refinish a weatherby stock

rubbing g96 hi-speed linseed oil stock finish