1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help quite smoking/Big dog stomach.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Stop drinking three years ago now after 40 years i decided to quite smoking. Took up the bad habit when they gave us free cigaretts in Vietnam. Smoked three packs a day. Its been 10 days now and no smokes. I am eating like a race horse and my stomach looks like i swollowed a basketbal. I am starting to look like a big dog. Need help getting rid of the gut. Any suggestions?????

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

When you find something that works let me know to as I have the same problem. LOL Jackie B.

PS. Don't suggest sit ups or push ups. LOL

3. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I quit 39 years ago and went from 170 to 210.

Doctor told me to start running, that day!! I could only run a couple hundred yards so I walked and ran. Began an intensive program that included aerobics and have weighed around 180 for the past 30 years. You can't just diet weight off. You have to burn some calories off via exercise too. Am almost 73 now and cholesterol is 102 and BP is 110/60.

4. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

A morning walk, and push aways. Push away from the table. Eat less, but more often. I dropped 20 pounds in 3 months. I could not do a brisk mile when I started, doing 6 miles per walk right now and look forward to it. Congrads on getting rid of the smokes. F/S

5. smsnyder

Thanks its been a tuff road

6. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Earl,

Congratulations. Now you’ll live long enough to make it to the 29 yard line!

Jon Reitz

7. turmite

turmite Member

smsynder,

My wife as seriously ill for years including a kidney transplant, but the last three years she battled cancer. Taking care of her, I quit taking care of myself and ended at my top weight being 299. I am less than 6ft by about 2" so you know I was puffy. I lost my wife to cancer Feb 23 of this year and two weeks later I had a follow up visit with my heart surgeon after twin stents back in early Dec of last year. At this visit they told me I had lost 7 lbs so I made my decision right then that since I had a head start, I was going to do it this time.

That was around March 15th. I now weigh 239, well actually 241.5 since Christmas added the 1.5 but I have done it by cutting down, but not completely out, bread, high fat foods and sugars. I totally agree that you will be much more successfull if you eat smaller meals and more often . I have discovered by doing these things, my stomach has gotten smaller and now I can't eat as much without being uncomfortable.

Set some short range and long range goals. My short range is to get to 225 and learn how to stabilize my weight at that level. After 6 months at that weight, or very close to in up or down, my long term goal is to get to 200. My Dr tells me if I can get there, I get to come off most of my meds, and they are a lot of them.

Last, find someone that will constantly encourage you and not tear you down if you go up a pound.

BTW......I eat anything I want to eat......just not as much or as often. I know that from 225 to 200 I will have to get much more strict with my intake and I will have to excerise a lot more. I did join the gym as well, and those guys have been great to encourage me. I hope all of our words of encouragement lets you know that you can do it!

Mike

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Always leave something on the plate, it's hard for us country boys because we were raised to always clean the plate. Just by not eating everything on my plate I've lost weight gradually but I haven't suffered. Oh and leave those biscuits and rolls alone. And the gravy.

9. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

You bet your butt its been a tough road. After 35 years of smoking I have been off them for 16 years. Weight went up 20-30 pounds for couple of years and then walked it off. The big fight is with nicotine. Win that one first and then walk the fat off breathing fresh air. Nine days without the Demon Nicotine is great. Hang in there.

10. zzoom

zzoom Member

Three months tomorrow without a smoke. Have to want not to smoke more than you want to smoke. Gets easier every day, but it is a struggle. Wife quit the same day, we are beginning to speak to each other again...

11. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I am glad you quit smoking, hope you can learn to take up excersize. lots of changes but if you want to live, you gotta try.

12. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I quit smokeing after 24 years and not easy. I went on eating streak and its been 4 months now. I can only quit 1 thing at a time,now I have put on 30pds. Now I have the smoke craveings under controll I plan on in January to start watching my food and doing more walking.

Jerry Lewis

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Think Leo, Earl. Think Leo....

14. Janet

Janet TS Member

Smoked for 40 years, quit for 4, lost the battle and started again. Had the
    flu in 2009 and when I recovered from that, I stopped in my tracks cold turkey
    and haven't had one since. So quit date was 9-9-09, two years and no cravings
    this time. I have no idea why only that I really wanted to quit as I was so
    short of breath, Now I walk my dog three times a day, even up a small hill,
    eat small portions and feel so much better. I guess you really have to want it, you have to really
    want to live a normal life doing the things you want to do no matter how much
    older you get.

15. APrice

APrice Active Member

It's my firm belief that if a tobacco abuser had any idea how repulsively malodorous he/she is to everyone else in the world, they'd drop'em cold turkey.

16. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Worry about 1 thing at a time. Overeating won't kill you as fast as smoking will. 2 things you can do to suppress your appetite, chew gum, drink water, lots and lots of water. Pick up the glass and take 5-6 chugs each time.

Was 3 packs+ a day for 25 years, now quit for 9 years.

Just don't smoke, the rest will take care of itself.

Best Wishes,
    Chip

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Earl,

No offense, but let's be honest here. I saw you in person last summer and that gut was already well on its way long before you quit smoking. Just say'n................. LOL

18. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Nothing like a good heart attack to get you in the mood of eating right. Yes sir thats for sure. Worked for me. Had 4 stents put in and I'll be damn 3 days later I was mowing the yard and watching ever dang thing I ate. Well that is to say my wife put her foot down and took over the menue.
    Three years before that I smoked 3 pks a day. Slick Willie Clinton started screwing the public with the phoney tax rasisng on cigaretts that I was not about to help that crooked SOB out so I quit. Went from 160 to 190 and held for 3 yrs till the heart attack. I think the main blame for the weight gain was the butterpecan Icream every night in a huge glass. Wife took it away from me so I wouldn't plug my stents.
    I am telling you this so maybe you can find an easier way to loose the weight than me. Wild Bill

19. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Sporting clays. Hiking with a shotgun. No riding a cart. Shooting while you exercise-how do you
    beat that?

20. smsnyder

WOW butter pecan ice cream I want some.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.