1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help opening a gun safe

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ertz, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ertz

Ertz Member

I have an older DoskoSport gun safe that is battery operated and uses a keypad. I have many times in the past had to use a 9 volt battery and the master override code to open it when the batteries inside have died. This time however it appears the release mechanism inside is not performing its job. The company is now Plano Plastics and I have left a message but I am not too optimistic.

My question, is something a lock smith can deal with? Any other suggestions? email me or send me a private message if you have any advice.

Ertz

2. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I don't have any suggestions.

However, your problem is exactly why I would only have a safe with the dial type combination lock!

Hope you get your safe open o.k. If all else fails your lock smith might have to drill it to get it open.

eak.....

3. Dan Boardman

Dan Boardman TS Member

If you know a fireman or cop see if they can use the jaws of life on it - no joke

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have several friends with the touch pad combination and they have to replace batteries twice a week, MFGR SAYS IT HAS HIGH CURRENT DRAW AND NEEDS A NEW ELECTRONIC board. One while replacing the batteries wires came out of the plug and then wires are color coded but does not know which wire goes where.

He cannot get into the safe to get his guns out.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've had two safes with electronic locks and nary a problem between them with the exception of one discharged battery that was five years old. But my newest one gave me a fit the first day I had it.

With the door open, I changed the default code to the one I use, tried the lock several times and it opened every time. Then I closed the door and the damned thing wouldn't unlock! Several hours later, while waiting for the locksmith that Liberty Safes dispatched to arrive, I thought about my every move when opening it successfully. It dawned on me that I had my left hand on the handle while I keyed in the code so I tried opening it that way. It opened! Turns out the linkage was just a hair out of adjustment and a smidgen of counter-clockwise pressure was needed to allow the electronic mechanism to move the lock. You might try pressure in both directions.

Back to your battery issue, are you sure your safe has an internal battery? That sounds like it would be a very poor design if that battery becoming discharged can prevent the safe from being opened. Given that, I wonder if that's really your problem. In both my safes, a Cannon and a Liberty, the battery(s) in the electronic lock are the only batteries present. Only the code memory chip is inside the door so a person cannot switch keypads and open your safe.

Gary, I'll bet the company that made your buddy's safe can tell him which wire goes where.

Ed

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

4 lbs of green dot and a foot and a half cannon wick light and run. BAABOOM Its open.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I removed the inner panel of my century safe yearly, not the best safe but better than none. I clean all my guns once a year, I give the works inside the safe a quick look and a light lube. I had an old safe that I forgot the combo, Most honest locksmiths can get into most home safes in minutes at a reasonable cost. If you indeed have a major mechanical issue inside the safe. It can be hard to open. Seriously find a locksmith that competes in safe cracking compitions.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

My safe is mechanical, no batteries. I have the combination written somewhere but that causes me no problems. I have not locked my safe for several years. My safe is filled with papers and other stuff and I don't keep any guns in the safe.

Pat Ireland

9. Ertz

Ertz Member

Yes Average Ed there are 6 AA batteries inside. There is a place to externally hold a 9 volt battery and use the override code to open the safe when the batteries go dead, which I have done 10 or so times over the years. Once you get it open you change the batteries and reset your code. It appears the mechanical aperatus inside won't work. Next time I will make sure there is a key option as well as a biometric.

Still looking for options.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Elevate unit six inches and release. Then try to override code. HMB

11. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The S&G electronic lock I use everyday has two 9volt batteries. There are a few times it will not unlock, and that's because the locking handle is not swung to the fully closed position. The slightest side pressure on the locking bar of the electric lock(moter driven part in the door) will prevent it from moving.

A couple of tugs on the door handle and it opens. Also, if I were to mess up the code three times in a few minutes, the lock will shut down for 15 minutes.

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
a cannon gun safe unlock code
bypass electronic lock on canon safe
cannon gun safe bypass code
cannon gun safeslocked out-digital override

cannon safe reset code

doksosport gun safe

doskosport pistol safe

master reset codes on cannon safe