1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Need help on spolar reloader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leadhead358, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

I keep having some pieces of shot drop from the precrimp station on my spolar. Its not much and doesn't do it on every shell, about every 5th or 6th shell. I reloaded 800 shells and have about an ounce of shot in my catch all pan. After the precrimp goes down on the shell and raises back up some of the shot falls out of the hull. It looks like the plastic hull is sometimes sticking to the precrimp and pulling the hull up from the die, then when the hull falls back into the die the shot pieces fall out. Should I spray with a lube or any suggestions. Thanks Tom
  2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR TS Member

Spolar has an 800 number ?? You may not be setting the wad hard (deep)enough
  3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Well-Known Member

Wrong wad or not seated deep enough!!
  4. laura!

laura! Member

Sometimes you can get shot stuck in the groove that the wad setter is supposed get seated into when you pull the handle down. If that is the case, it could be causing your problem.
  5. shotgunjoej

shotgunjoej TS Member

AA hulls? wrong wad for hull. I have the problem only with the new AA HS.
  6. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Brand new machine. Thought someone may have a fix instead of trying to call dixie. She has been swamped and only one working. same wad spolar uses.
  7. RobertT

RobertT Active Member

Had the same problem using new style AA's with a straigt instead of tapered wad. The wad was seating deep enough but it would rise back up from the compression.

Robert
  8. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Also, if the wad fingers get bend over when the wad is being inserted can make the shot raise up when the handle is raised. When this happens a couple of shot will overflow the shell.

Tomas
  9. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Here is what I am watching. Load is aa hull, 1oz shot, win 209 primer, 18.5 grains e-3 and downrange neon green wad 4 pedal, Dixie said the wad is basically the same as the spolar wads, made of same type plastic. I am taking my time loading about 4 to 5 seconds a shell, wad seats about 1/8 inch below crimp line on casing. I am not loosing shot on the #4 station wad and shot input. Where I see the shot falling from is the #5 station when the shell releases from the precrimp die it seems as if it is sticking to the die and when the casing releases it drops some shot. I have tried sts and nitro hulls and it does the same thing. It seems like the precrimp die needs a coating of silicone to make it slippery to release the top of the casing instead of sticking. I have no trouble with the wad fingers folding over and no trouble with the wad guide. I thought it was the wad guide dragging shot out, but it comes out of station 5 not 4.
  10. Lyndon Shumaker

Lyndon Shumaker Member

Tom

send me an email.

Lyndon
  11. cdr

cdr TS Member

hi tom, this could be caused by the wrong bushings, shot drop tube depth or wad. first check bushings, scale powder and shot. to check the wad depth loosen the shot drop tube jam nut, run 1 shell, drop powder, shut powder and vibrator motor off and no shot in the charge bar (shot off), put a wad in the wad arm, cycle the loader, stop the loader in the up position, hand screw the shot drop tube down until you fill the wad stop on the powder. tighten jam nut try a shell. also can try spolar 1 1/8 wad (shorter wad).
    if you need further help call spolars 800-227-9667
    mon-thur 6am til 1pm pacific time. ask for bill, dicksie or robert.
  12. RobertT

RobertT Active Member

Tom, have you at least tried a different wad? The case and wad combination you stated are exactly what caused a similar problem for me.

Robert
  13. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Tom, I did not realize that you were using the Green wad, it is not the same as ours. That wad works fine with any loader in an STS Hull, but not the AA HS because of the wad cup in the hull. The wad is lifting up out of the that particular hull. Use the Down Range AA SL Replaement wad, I am not sure of the number. You can also try turning the shot drop tube down one full turn.
    Dicksie Spolar
    800 227 9667
  14. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

This is the right wad Dicksie, Down Range XL-1 Neon Green four petal, the purple is an eight petal instead of a four as per their web page. I will try turning down the shot drop tube. Thank You.
  15. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR TS Member

Unblieveable
  16. samiam03

samiam03 TS Member

Alf-99 - What's so unbelievable other than your spelling? He's using the clone that Dicksie suggested.

Dicksie said: "the Green wad, it is not the same as ours. That wad works fine with any loader in an STS Hull, but not the AA HS because of the wad cup in the hull. The wad is lifting up out of the that particular hull. Use the Down Range AA SL Replaement wad, I am not sure of the number

Tom replied "This is the right wad Dicksie, Down Range XL-1 Neon Green four petal, the purple is an eight petal instead of a four as per their web page. I will try turning down the shot drop tube. Thank You."

Down Range XL-1
    Down Range XL-1
    This neon green wad is produced for primary use in the Remington STS and Winchester AA hulls, with 1 ounce of shot. It can also be used as a 1 1/8 ounce load in Federal Gold Medal hulls.
    We use only virgin plastics to assure quality and performance.
    Please Note:
    This wad maybe substituted for these popular wads.
    WAA12SL, CB1100-12, Green Duster & Downrange Jammer XL-1

Down Range XL-1
    Down Range XL-1
    This neon green wad is produced for primary use in the Remington STS and Winchester AA hulls, with 1 ounce of shot. It can also be used as a 1 1/8 ounce load in Federal Gold Medal hulls.
    We use only virgin plastics to assure quality and performance.
    Please Note:
    This wad maybe substituted for these popular wads.
    WAA12SL, CB1100-12, Green Duster & Downrange Jammer XL-1

So what's so unbelievable?

Sam
  17. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

Qh man!!!! A Spolar with a problem. No way, no how. I was under the impression Spolar was perfect. I guess, I'll just have to keep my Dillon......
  18. oletymer

oletymer Member

It is pretty common knowledge that the DRA12 red wad works better than the DRXL1 in Winchester hulls. The DRA12 red is shorter than the WAA12sl and DRXL1. It fits the hull better for one once loads. That wad is what Dixie is telling you about.
  19. RobertT

RobertT Active Member

The Spolar seems to have an operator problem, nothing wrong with the machine. Tom, your persistence in using a wad that has demonstrated itself as inappropriate for new style AA's "Load is aa hull, 1oz shot, win 209 primer, 18.5 grains e-3 and downrange neon green wad 4 pedal," is amazing. I have twice recounted my experience with the same shell wad combination and Dicksie has now replied with "Tom, I did not realize that you were using the Green wad, it is not the same as ours. That wad works fine with any loader in an STS Hull, but not the AA HS because of the wad cup in the hull. The wad is lifting up out of the that particular hull. Use the Down Range AA SL Replaement wad, I am not sure of the number. You can also try turning the shot drop tube down one full turn." I'm beginning to believe you are beyond help my friend.

Robert
  20. Ahab

Ahab Active Member

Quote...

Down Range XL-1 This burgundy wad has been changed to NEON GREEN. It is produced for primary use in the Remington STS & Winchester hulls with 1 ounce loads. It can also be used in a Federal Gold Medal hull with 1 1/8 ounce loads.

Unquote

If it casn also be used in a Federal hull ... overpowder cup doesn't have enough taper to get past the Winchester AA HS base wad. What it means is that the wad caan't travel all the way down to the powder and is getting hung up part way down ... and gets over compressed. When you try to crimp the hull, as soon as you release the pressure ... it acts like a spring and tries to open up the crimp ... and that is why shot will pop out!

If you would hold the shell that had some shot pop out, to a strong light ... you will see a cocked wad or a wad that is not all the way down touching the powder, in there!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.