1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need help on shooting with boths eyes open

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leadhead358, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Fellow shooters, I am trying to shoot with both eyes open and really want to. The problem is when I shoot this way I catch myself closing one eye and missing the bird because of lack of concentration on the bird. I am thinking about if both eyes are open. My question is, I use Ranger shooting glasses, is there any easy way to put something over my left glass so as not to damage the glasses but to be able to keep both eyes open and only see with my right eye. I am also open to any other ways this can be done. Thanks in advance.

2. windyflat

windyflat Member

Would a flat shooting gun be harder to make the switch to two eyed shooting verses a gun with a 80-90% high POI?
    I've been struggling to learn to shoot with both eyes open with my flat shooting gun. Hopefully the POI changes you folks suggested in my other post will help me hit a few more targets with both eyes open. We will see tonight...

3. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Keep both eye open and just concentrate on the bird, say to your self (see the bird kill the bird) then call for the bird. It will take time it did for me after 38 years of shooting with only one eye open. I would never go back to one eye. I hope this helps
    Pete

4. otnot

otnot Active Member

Set the trap for straight away from post 3 and shoot a box of shells. Then move to post 4 and repeat then to post 2. Your going to have to reprogram your shooting computer with the right sight picture and timing. You should never see your bead or your barrel only the target. It is going to take a lot of practice and patients. When you get it right, you won't have to think about swinging your gun or worry about leading the target. The target just seems to smoke as if by magic.

Jim

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Not everyone can make two eyed shooting work for them. If you put something on the lense of your off gun eye you are still a one eye shooter. The main benefit of using two eyes for shooting a shotgun is depth perception, either you have that or you don't, unfortunately it is one of those 'factory installed' options that you don't get a choice on.

Good luck and remember this is something we do for fun.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

wolfram---I disagree in the fact that anyone can be made into a two eyed shooter with work(sometimes lots of work) but it can be done. I am an example of a long time one eyed shooter that now shoots very well two eyed. In fact my scores are far better than when i was a one eyed shooter. I am in the process of working with my 15 year old the same way. See the bird shoot the bird. No sights. Shoot where your eyes are looking. Its that simple but takes alot of work to change what your brain is telling you.----Matt

7. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

I thought that maybe by having my non shooting eye open but my lens covered up I may be able to focus more on the bird. Then when I feel more comfortable with having both eyes open taking the patch off the lens and that may help me more because I would be used to having both eyes open. I shoot sporting clays and really need to use both eyes to see the birds from different angles, but when I do keep both eyes open it just feels like I am shooting in the area and not at the bird. When I shoot with one eye closed it seems I hit more targets on the same course than with both eyes open. Even my instructor told me I have to make up my mind one eye or two and stay with it.

8. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

I did the tape, dot, smudge,.... all last year. Yes, I could see the target better and quicker, and hold a higher gun, but, I couldn't hit the damn thing as well. Both eyes open and no tape - way too many railroad tracks to follow. Call me a quitter, but I'm a quitter and back to a squinter and hitting more targets. Eye dominant problem of course. I suppose in due time the spot would work, but, my patience was wearing thin. Try to do all your everyday tasks with your opposite hand. Pain in the rear. I include trying to change my eye dominance as a pain in the rear. You're wired a certain way. Some can change, some cannot.

9. wolfram

I hear what you are saying Matt, and also realize the are few absolutes when we are talking about how the brain works. I'm a two eyed shooter with everything (even scoped rifles) and never had to work to do this. I also know a few people that aren't so lucky ... they struggle with eye dominance problems and would really like to be able to use both eyes in their shooting process. Some people win their struggle some don't. At some point the person with the eye dominance problem has to decide if the progress on becoming a two eyed shooter is worth the effort.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Go to the patterning board, shot 5 shots with both eyes open and 5 shots using 1 eye. Shoot the patterns free hand, just like you would shoot clay targets. I think you will be suprised at the results. HMB

11. cec

cec TS Member

Magic Eye Dots work great for many shooters with similar challenges. They support keeping both eyes open while assisting the master eye. Available at the URL above.

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

wolfram----True very true. I started with the dot and after a little practice it did improve my shooting but it wasn't the same as true two eyed. I guess i just never gave up. Its a matter of beating your mind before it beats you. I will agree that for some people the transition is easier and quicker than others. I will admit i just about gave up numerous times while asking myself if it was worth it. It was trust me it was. I virtually ruined a half of a year of shooting working on it. No matter what you end up doing though, just have fun doing it. Life is too short to make the fun things work.----Matt

13. biff

biff Active Member

It will be a very hard transition since you have shot for 38 years using the one eye method. If you are strong willed and want to attempt it, it will be possible. As Otnot says, you need to look only at the target and never see your barrel or beads when you shoot.....it's almost like watching someone shoot with you as a spectator, only you make the gun go bang at the right time!!! This was extremely hard for me to do as it just didn't seem to be scientific as did aiming with one eye putting the bead on the bird! Two eyes IS better as you can pick up and track the target better! A gun that fits, shoots where you look, stay in the gun, and look at the target is not only necessary, but imperative!!! Biff

14. wolfram

Gotta admire your tenacity Matt, this crazy mental game of trap is hard enough with out the added difficulties of eye dominance issues. But you hit the nail on the head .... what ever you do make sure your having fun.

15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

One of you said that some struggle with eye dominance problems. what you didn't say those that have no problem with eye dominance sometimes struggle with brain dominance problems.

Their brain tells them that there is no way to aim the gun unless you can see it so naturally the only way to do that is close one eye in their mind. Unless they can teach themselves to ignore what their brain is in conflict with they will never shoot well with one eye.

They have to force themselves to believe if they don't they can't.

Bob Lawless

16. wm rike

wm rike Member

Everyone is different, so there's no magic solution. I will say that of the times I have crossed paths with someone making the transition to two-eyed shooting, they seem very hung up on their score and some level of frustration follows. I might suggest shooting 100 targets, a flat of shells, whatever, with both eyes open and forget the score completely. Just get used to having both eyes open. That's the first thing you have to accomplish. When that becomes natural you can better deal with one or however many images you see, scores, and ultimately the decision as to whether or not this is the right path for you.

17. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I think that you must first make sure that you are shooting with your dominate eye looking down the barrel. If your off eye is not looking down the barrel, you should seriously consider switching so it does.

Scotch tape will work blocking your off eye from seeing through that side. I guess you can give it a try, to see if your problem is just getting use to keeping the off eye open.

Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.