1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help on Remington 31 Trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esetter, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esetter

esetter Active Member

I have a remington 31TC and all of a sudden the trigger group started locking up. By this I mean you pull the trigger and it doesn't allow the hammer to drop. I have taken the trigger out and cleaned and oiled it and I can't see anything wrong. One time you pull it and it works perfectly, the next time it locks up. If you pull it a few times it will release. It does the same thing with the trigger out of the gun and I replaced the trigger with a spare I had and it works perfectly so I know it is in the trigger. Does anyone know a person that is familiar with a 31 and could work on the trigger? Thanks for the help. esetter5@roadrunner.com

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

The way the Mod.31 trigger works is a little different than you may think as they tend to pull up NOT back so check for an obstruction in the back half ie. behind the pivot pin, probably got a pellet or a piece of junk that got in through the ejection port & dropped down into the trigger assembly and got stuck on top of the back half of the trigger,hence it cannot pull up. next would be the pivot pin itself could be broken.at least that's a good place to start. Good Luck--Ross Puls ( I shoot a 31 TC also)please let me know what you find. Thanks

4. esetter

esetter Active Member

Thanks Ross, I have gone over this thing with a fine tooth comb and I think whatever is blocking it is back inside it and I'm afraid to take this thing apart. Would like to send it to someone that knows something about it.

5. cubancigar2000

dont take it apart, trust me

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Have you tried an air compressor @ 100 to 120 # psi to see if you can dislodge anything?? As per cubancigar DON'T take it apart your self just use the other trigger assembly & wait until you find a gunsmith to look at it. OR sell it to me because I love 31s. Ross Puls

7. POWDER RIVER

POWDER RIVER TS Member

I thouht we discussed this problem.

If we did'nt-call me in the AM between 9-11.

1-920-467-8687

John

8. esetter

esetter Active Member

No John, this just started happening. I will try to call you tomorrow. Thanks, Gerry

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You could try giving it a kerosene bath. If dirt or debris is the problem this will help get rid of it. Take an empty coffee can and fill it wth kerosene, put the trigger in and swish it around . See if any crap comes out. HMB

10. esetter

esetter Active Member

I blew it out with Gunscrubber twice, no change. Will try the compressed air.

11. esetter

esetter Active Member

I have figured out where the problem is on the trigger. The release latch on the right side of the trigger that allows you to open the gun without firing it sometimes does not return to the forward position. If it is back towards the rear of the gun the trigger locks up. Push it forward and it functions perfectly. There apparently is a spring inside that pushes the latch forward and it is either weak or broken. Can't see inside it and afraid to take it apart. Need a good trigger guy to work on it.

12. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

esetter: Mine has the same broken spring, don't know why I didn't think of that, SORRY but after figuring that out (like you did) I just got in the habit of pushing the release button ahead when I close the action & never did bother to get a new spring. The reason they won't fire is the bolt slides back just enough so that the hammer hits the bottom of the bolt instead of the back where the firing pin protrudes. Just push it ahead when you close the action (becomes 2nd nature) & you don't even know that your doing it. Ross

13. esetter

esetter Active Member

I thought about doing that, but this gun is so pristine I would really like to get it fixed to original operating condition. I'll give Mann and Sons a call. Thanks guys, you are a wealth of knowledge.

14. esetter

esetter Active Member

Ross, I failed to mention that I have a skeet barrel for this TC also and I shoot it most of the time for skeet. Kind of hard to push it forward in the middle of shooting that double on stations one.

I called Ross and Son and he knew exactly what was wrong (a small spring broken) and said he fixed one last week and had the spring in stock. Said turn around time would be about a week!!!!! Thanks guys, I'll send it off right after Christmas.

15. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

That's the best solution, but when you are shucking you will automatically be holding it shut (in battery) I know this much because I occasionally shoot doubles.Still better to get it fixed properly . Ross

16. esetter

esetter Active Member

Just a final note on my 31 trigger. Just received it back from Mann and Son and it works perfectly. They knew exactly what it was when I talked to them on the phone and had the part on hand. They only had the gun in their shop for a couple of days. Couldn't ask for better service. Thanks for all the help on this one.

17. cubancigar2000

Thx for the update, good to know

18. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Yes thanks for the update, who knows I may even fix mine one of these days. Did you have to send the complete gun or just the trigger assembly? Ross Puls

19. esetter

esetter Active Member

Just sent them the trigger and they charged me $50 total including shipping. Nice people to work with.

20. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

esetter: Thanks for the response. Ross

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.