1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help on reloading

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by leadhead358, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

I have just started into reloading. There are 7 of us on a local sporting clays team and I volunteered to reload for our team. My question is we are reloading 90 percent AA or STS hulls, which I am using the same recipe of 19.5 grains Red Dot, 1 ounce shot, claybuster 1100-12 wad and CCI primer since I cannot find winchesters anywhere in the area my problem is the other 10 percent of hulls. They are federals which I know I need to change the wads in the recipe to claybuster 1118-12 which is to replace the fedral wad 20s3. The crimp on the shell is much lower, instead of flat, like there is not enough shot in the shell. I only reloaded a handful until I could find some advice. The crimp itself looks good just the shell does not look full as the AA and STS hulls look like factory crimps. Thanks for any help Tom

2. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Well....I can't help you with the federal hulls. Don't load them myself. But I do have three pieces of advice.

1. Sort all your hulls by brand before you load them. You might be doing this...but I know I can't run a AA through the press followed by an STS without some adjustments.

2. Get everyone on the same sheet of music regarding shells....the whole team should be buying STS or AA or Federal, whatever, but that will eliminate the problems with all the different brands of empties.

3. I would SERIOUSLY consider NOT loading for the whole team. I'm sure you're a careful guy with the best of intentions. But is it worth it?? You screw up a load and one of your buddies is going to be lacking a hand, or an eye, or both. Even if one of THEIR guns is not properly maintained, or blows up for some reason other than YOUR reload...who's gonna get looked at first?? that's right...YOU. When you bulge the barrel on a guys K-80 because he forgot to get the wad out of it...they're going to look at YOUR reload.

I think you're swimming in deeper legal water than you really want to be...even if you're all friends.

YMMV.

Jeff

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jeff is giving you good advice about not loading for other people. From the sounds of it, you need to figure out what works and what doesn't.

As for hulls, do yourself a favor and only load one type. I suggest the Remington STS/gun glubs.

4. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Thanks for the info. I guess I for got to tell you, I or we sort the shells after we get back and WE (the team) use my reloader and take turns reloading with each one of us being cautious of what and how we are reloading. We are all in the firefighting, nursing, emt jobs. I guess my question still was not answered as of yet. I followed the recipe for federals from alliant, changed the wad with an interchangable wad from claybuster but the shell does not look right. We are planning on using the federals for game hunting in the fall, but we have about 400 rounds to load and do not want to waste the hulls. Thanks Tom

5. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

It does make a difference if the whole team is involved....

I had this vision of you loading at home, alone, and then bringing the shells to the club and handing them out. That could be bad.

I rarely (almost never) shoot someone else's shells.

6. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

I think you meant Federal 12SO wad or its equivalent claybuster wad for 1oz.

My experience is similar to yours when loading federal hulls. You can drop
    the crimp starter down some which will help but will need to readjust for AA/STS hull.

A small amount of dish assuming the pellets don't escape will not hurt performance in my experience.

Regards

7. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Actually it was a federal 12s3 wad and claybuster said to use cb2118-12 if that can be of any help. Thanks again Tom

8. bocephus

bocephus Member

A simple search on google, 12s0 for 1 ounce, 12s3 for 1 1/8. You are correct for the 1118-12s3, but those are for 1 1/8 ounce.

9. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Frist it sound like you are new to reloading and thats not bad we all get to start some were frist you said you are useing ICC primers there are two types of ICC209 primer one is the straight 209 replacement and the other a ICCM 209 which is a magnum if you are useing the ICCM209 STOP 19.5 grains of red dot is a overload.Know for your question the three shells you are loading two are tapped and one is a straight wall hall and that is the fedral CB 1100 is a 1 oz wad which OK the CB1118 wad is 1 1/8 oz wad and it will not work for 1 oz loads shot cup is to deep. The wads that will work for your problem are CB1100 CB2100 CB0178 REM TGT AA12SL AA12L and the fedral 12SO will work in all three of your shell the only thing I would do check the power drop for each wad from a good reloading manule 19.5 red dot is on the high side of some these wads and only other thing you will have play with is the final crimp to get the right depth for your shell,also use a scale to check your power drop not all bushing drop the same all the time. Hope this help your problem.

10. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

You need the Fed 12SO wad or the Claybuster equivalent for 1 oz loads in Federal hulls. If the Federal hulls have steel bases with rolled paper base wad, I would only reload them once. The possibility of the base wad blowing out is even greater than that of the "new" Win AA 2 piece hull.

Jason

11. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

2nd the advice of waverider - use the 12S0 wad.

You are using a 1 1/8 oz wad and it is MUCH shorter than the 12S0 which is why you are getting a dished crimp.

12. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Thanks folks I see MY mistake will redo handful of shells I loaded.

13. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Just a bit of friendly advice:
    Your personal liability is hanging out a mile with your practices - reloading is not without danger/risk and shooting homemade shells also has an element of risk. I am sure you do not want to tell your insurance agent about your little team arrangement.

The other thing is quite practical - 400 hulls is not worth fussing over.

And to use this oppertunity to pass along the best advice I ever got - "don't fry bacon naked"

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

When you use up the federal stuff and the Winchester stuff, switch over to the STS and never look back. You won't regret it.

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

stop the interchange game, agree on one recipe of hull wad primer shot. Let each shooter load their own. Also get small kickback for use of loader. Use reload calculator to see how long to recoup loader cost with current componant cost.

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

PS also just checked alliant on line load data, they do not list 1 oz in sts or win 1100-12 wad with red dot with a CCI209,,,,,just the 209M. ????

17. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I certianly understand why you want to reload. I am not trying to cast any doubt. You are new to reloading. Loading for others also. Any mistakes will come back squarely on you even friends will be not so good friends and especially the friends wife.. she will burn you in an instant. So please be careful.
    I have reloaded for over 30 years and i reload for my daughter now also. I find myself triple checking loads and primer seat depths etc etc etc. Sometime in the middle of the night. When in doubt throw the shell out!!

As far as what shell, i load STS and AA. I seperate them and load them. On my loader for some reason i have to adjust the primer depth for the different brands of shells.
    I say either stay with tapered hulls or straight wall hulls because it will cause too much confusion during long reloading sessions you will be doing trying to stay up with the other shooters demands of needs of shells.

Please be safe and check your loads. And a word on accidents.... there are those who have had them and those who will. They will happen sometime or another.

Good shooting and loading.
    Respectfully
    WesleyB

18. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Alliant on line data is where I found the recipe that we are using. The recipe is as follows Dram 3 1/4, 1 oz shot, 1290 fps, win 209 primer, red dot powder, claybuster 1100-12 wad, 19.5 grain, 8900 psi. Nobody in my area has winchester primers for what reason I dont know ( 3 local gun shops all have CCI ). Checking weights I am actually using 1oz shot and only 18.9 grains. Primer that I am using is just a CCI 209 not a 209M. Accurate arms lists primers from weakest to hottest as rem 209, cci 209, cci 209m, cci 209sc, winchester 209, cheddite 209, fiocchi 616, and federal 209a being the hottest. So thats why I am using the cci 209 it should actually bea weaker primer than the winchester. The cci 209m is for heavy loads and waterfowl which I thought maybe to hot, but the 209M is still under the winchester 209 the recipe calls for. I just felt safer using the cci 209. So I am probably giving up some of the 1290fsp and psi by using a little less powder and a little weaker primer. Also when reloading the STS and primiers I have noticed when knocking the primers out, the primer hole on some but not all are not rounded but sometimes a funny looking square shape. I pitched those. Just staying with AA hulls Thanks Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.