1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help on MEC 9000GN

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 28410, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 28410

28410 TS Member

I have a 900GN. The resizer/deprime gets stuck about halfwap throught the stroke and stops. I have cleaned it out. I cannot seem to adjust it and make it resize, if forced, it roumds the brass off. Any help would be appreciated.

2. 28410

28410 TS Member

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Make sure that the tube inside the collet is clear and free to drop, that it lines up with the "fork" underneath, that there are no spent primers obstructing it. That usually will do the trick. Also be sure that NO shot or other debris is in the collet and that the collet is properly lubed. There is also a chance that a small "c" clip on the upright rod, near where the wad guide is attached, has fallen off. That could also cause a problem with wads not entering the hull easily.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have a problem like that as well, difference being that 1st shell deprime resize no problem turns 2nd shell deprime/size powder drops in shell 1 turns. Now with the 1st shell at the wad/shot station you pull handle down stops about 1/4in short of a full pull. If you happen to get it to follow through the brass in the resizer balloons? works fine with 1 shell at a time?

5. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

I have had this problem on a 16ga. Grabber and in my case the problem is that ocassionally, the brass is oversized(or shell plate undersized) and the brass would have a slight interference to the shell plate and would hang up not allowing the shell to follow the primer drop tube down into the resizer. As soon as you feel the resistance in the handle, you can back off slightly and manually push the shell down and all is fine. Force the handle and the brass will ballon at the bottom because it is not supported on the bottom by the drop tube which continues to move down with the handle stroke. I did not find the root cause just learned to adapt. Not sure if this is your problem but sure sounds the same. I would contact MEC and they may send you a properly size shell plate or have a better idea.

Good Luck and shoot well,
    Scott

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I took the resizer apart 1st thing and cleaned it. Loads 1 shell at a time fine. I will figure it out im sure. My first 9000.

7. 28410

28410 TS Member

I have the same problem that maclellan1911 listed above. You can start to load and the reloader works fine. When the leading shell gets to the station for the wad, the first station will not resize/deprime and the machine sticks.

8. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I'd have to say that you have a piece or two of shot in the collet. Someone posted a thread on here not to long ago that explained the procedure on how to take it apart and lube it. It was spot on. Do a search on mec collet and you should be able to find it.

I solved all of my mec problems by buying a 366. :)

9. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Beside cleaning the collet, make sure that you are returning the handle all the way to the top with each stroke. My grandson used to have this problem, until he got tall enough to make sure the stroke was complete. He would "ride" the handle, on the up-stroke, and not let it get completely to the top with each stroke.

Kip

10. dospa

dospa TS Member

The shell ballooning only happens when the shell does not drop to the bottom
    of the deprime/resize station. It is possible to push the shell down ahead
    of the plunger with the edge of your thumb, but be careful.

Tom

11. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

See if this thread helps. I took a few pictures to show what has been mentioned here on this thread and the older thread. It sure has saved me a bunch of mushroomed hulls. Omaha

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My 9000GN has always nicked case mouths with the powder drop tube from time to time but lately it has worsened to 20% of the time and is tearing the side of the hulls. I can't find any way to adjust the alignment of the tube and the shell carrier so I emailed MEC on Friday. I haven't heard back yet but am wondering if any of you have encountered and corrected that problem.

Ed

13. atagym

atagym TS Member

Make sure that the shell lifter and the hole in the center of the sizer is dry.
    If there is any oil or dirt on it it will not drop properly.

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Averaged

Are you sure that it's the powder drop tube and not the primer drop tube? I had a misaligned primer feed and it did put a nick in the hull mouth until I moved it into alignment.

15. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

CALL MEC
    JJJ

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

No, it's the powder tube - I can watch it happen. The powder tube deflects upward against its spring and when the hull gives, it slams back down with a loud BANG. Really gets your attention if you don't see it coming.

But thanks for the idea anyway and keep them coming. Maybe someone will give me the solution before MEC gets back with me.

Ed

17. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The problem is likely the wad guide is not aligned or set too low. The wad guide clamps to the rod that lowers the shell lifter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.