1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need help on ar 15 hunting sling

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

I was not in the military and would like some help in getting the right sling for my ar 15. The one that I want is worn by J Guthrie on Modern Rifle Adventures. Thats all I know. I am sure some of you military gents will be able to id the type or name. TY

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Do you have a pic of the sling?

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Champions Choice in LaVergne Tennesse can help you with a proper leather style sling for the M16 service rifle. They also have reproduction web slings, but the hardware is not as good as the military issue. Some of the surplus houses have the web type sling that was used on the M-14 as well as the M16. Get an issue of shotgun news and you will find dozens of places to help you. Uncle Mikes makes a leather sling that looks like the military, but the keepers are junky and break.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    We need more information. What kind of an AR15 do you have? Standard military pattern fixed stock? Telestock? Free float forend? How are you using it? Stricktly for carry over your shoulder? For hunting or tactical carry at the ready? For target work, meaning using the sling as an aid to aiming?

5. striper

striper Member

the sling will go on a S&W ar 15 pc 5.56. This rifle has a full butt stock. I will use the weapon for varmint hunting and shooting at the range.I was hoping that someone would have seen the program Modern Hunting Adventures to recognize the style of sling Gutrie wears. Having done some research on sling types for the ar 15 I realize that there are numerous varieties,2 point 3 point etc. I would like one that attaches to the butt stock ,my swivel on this gun is stationary. I have a burris tripod that attaches to the front swivel. I wish I could take a picture but I am not at home and without a camera. I will find what I am looking for and get another good education in ar rifles in the meantime. Thanks for the comments

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Do you want a carrying sling or a shooting sling? If you are going to use a shooting sling on a AR15 it needs to have a free floating barrel or you will have poi problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.