1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help on a winchester model 12

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Racerx, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Racerx

Racerx Member

I'm looking for a gunsmith who works on model 12's in south central Idaho. Any info will help. The forearm is coming all the way up and the receiver bolt is staying in the recever housing?? The gun was disassembled by a friend and reassembly incorrectly ?? I think ?? Anyway I don't know much about these model 12's , but I know many people do. Thanks for any help on gunsmiths in my part of the country.

2. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

You should be able to do a search on the web for model 12 and come up with some kind of schematic on disassemble/assemble instructions. They really are not that hard to put together although off hand I don't remember particulars.
    Good luck.

3. Model12

Model12 Member

Email me,drop the x's,and I'll send you my phone # this evening when I get home from work. You can call me at work today 407-563-5200 ext 4079(Bass Pro in Orlando) Bob Gegerson

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Take the barrel assembly off. Then remove the trigger group. The ejector fits in a slot in the receiver and you will want to take it out (watch how it fits in position). Push the bolt all the way forward by pushing on the firing pin and engage the lock that holds it closed (this lock is a rocker piece on the bottom of the bolt). Reinstall the ejector (the front will fit slightly under the back of the bolt when the bolt is locked forward). Replace the trigger group. Replace the barrel assembly.

5. Racerx

Racerx Member

Thanks for all your help. It sounds like it's the action slide lock ?? Will have to send it in a shop.

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

What most likely happened was that someone removed the barrel assembly with the action unlocked. You have to have the action fully closed and locked to remove the barrel assembly. Its somewhat of a pain but very easy to remedy.

7. Racerx

Racerx Member

I've locked up bolt 1st and then reassembled barrel and the forearm will still not drop freely?? The bolt and the slide action will not stay locked up with bolt ?? If it does stay together it will only do that for one or two times before slide detaches from bolt. Anyway I've found a gunsmith who knows the model 12 very well !! and has the parts to fix it. Thanks guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.