1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help - new Bowen?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Slamfa, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slamfa

Slamfa TS Member

Need help.

Fairly new to the sport, and I'm going to the Grand for the first time this year. I would like to upgrade and I'm thinking about a new Bowen or maybe ordering a custom one. I have never met Mr. Bowen nor had any dealings with him. From what I've read, he seems to have a great reputation, but I also noticed there are a couple dissenting opinions. Can anyone share their experiences? Just want to avoid any potential issues when it comes to spending that kind of money. My email is above.
    Thanks,
    Buck S.

2. goldengirl

goldengirl TS Member

His work is impeccable if you can put up with his arrogant and when i get around to it attitude go for it.

3. shoot'er

shoot'er TS Member

Mr. Bowen is a great guy to do business with, and a great guy period!!! No matter what JBJ says. He won't lead you wrong and will do everything in his power to make the gun work for you! I just got my new Bowen yesturday and its one of the finest guns I have owned - well its the best gun I have owned. Already I can see a jump in my scores and my confidence! Hope this helps.

J.D.

4. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

It's not the arrow.........It's the indian..

5. Terry Patterson

Terry Patterson TS Member

scratcher, you ignore the obvious. The straighter the arrow, the better the shot.

6. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I understand Bruce will not be at the Grand but do not let that keep you from one of the finest guns made for trap today. Bowen guns are IMHO the finest finished trap guns made. Call him at 605-347-3133 direct tell him Gary Stevens and Buddy Walters said HI.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I will say that I havent heard anything bad about the Bownen gun itself- at least recently

Some people describe the process and the gun in glowing terms actually-- on posts here- you would have to contact them to discuss that

I would however solicit actual imput and talk to people- there are lots of opinions out there- some involving a lot of money- none of the people I know myself but that I know of--

Get a contract in writing-- go to your attorney before you sign it- remember you might be dealing across state lines- much harder to get legal leverage
    I have had my disagreements with the man but dont own one of the guns- some people swear by the process of a new gun from him- I think it is probably like getting a Kolar- that they can help you put it together - from concept to finish

I have also heard he has mellowed- devotes things like wood blanks to kids shooting auctions- etc

My suggesstion would be to post your email address or phone number and ask people to email you their comments- maybe talk to them on the phone so you understand the time and the process involved and then talk to him

These comments apply to a new one- where you would in fact be involved in the process from the beginning- so that process has some significant value in and of itself to a lot of people- as far as fit- finish- balance- pattern - etc

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. Iampro-hunting

Iampro-hunting TS Member

A person that I know bought a bowen at the Nebraska state shoot. He had to take it back twice with firing pin trouble. First one was too long and would hang up in the primer. Second one wouldn't hit the primer hard enough to make it fire. Third one seemed to work for now anyhow. Seems to me his firing pin design is pretty finicky so that would make me wonder about any problems down the line after some use.

As far as his attitude goes...... I have only spoken to him breifly a couple times and I will say that I was not overly impressed. Maybe I caught him on a bad day both times maybe not. You know what they say about first impressions though.... it is hard to change them. Every other gun maker I have talked with has been very nice and left a good first impression.

9. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I would give Bruce Bowen a call. I am sure his equipment and dealers will give you good advise.

Joe Woods/Ontario

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.