1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help is it lead or babbet?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by s100whunt, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s100whunt

s100whunt TS Member

I was given 8000 LbS of what I was told was pure lead it was ballast for a ship How can you tell if it is lead or what any test I can do

2. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Darn, I just tried a search for Antimony Man but it did not come up. He has a chart for different alloys of lead and their melting/set up temperatures. it goes like this, you melt some of your alloy/unknown metal and then insert a casting thermometer and wait until it just starts to set up. That is, the thermometer can not be pulled out. That temp then gives you what the alloy is.You make a note of the temp at which the alloy/unknown solidifies and you have what it is. Now then pure lead would be much cheaper to use as ballast for a boat than something like Babbitt which of course contains tin and antimony. Babbit is used for bearings and is so very much harder than pure lead. I know I printed out his formulas but I cannot find them tonight.Pure lead you can scratch with your fingernail but Babbitt is too hard to do so. I have some ingots of Babbitt from years ago but do not know their exact alloy.We used it to pour new bearings on test room injection molding presses.I will try to find the info Friday or the next day. Bill

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

hmmmm, id say pure lead

bill

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Bernie Faskell used to sell "drop shot" (blue printed bags, soft stuff) to the shipyards for boat ballast in sailboats.

Same stuff he used at the nuke plant.

Babbit would cost more and probably be harder. I doubt if you would find anything besides lead in a ship ballast.

HM

5. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

wanna sell some?

6. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

I use babbitt every day. I sell bearings for a living. Babitt is made of three ingredients: lead, antimony, and babbitt. It is harder than lead!

Matt

7. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Babbitt lead will not run through the dripper holes without a lot of problems -- I have run into before and it is nothing but headaches -- it can be used by diluting it down with good lead -- add about 10 - 15 % of the bad stuff to good -- pure lead generally will run a little larger than lead from wheel weights

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.