1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help installing recoil reducer in mag tube

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bonzai272, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Getting ready to install a Breako mercury recoil reducer in the magazine tube of my 870. The instructions provided are not very detailed. It says I can use the provided endcaps to align the recoil reducer with the magazine spring and/or I can use the reducer to replace the hunting plug. Am I supposed to just remove the hunting plug and slide the reducer through the mag spring? Or do I use the endcaps to position the reducer in front of (or behind) the mag spring? Or do I cut the mag spring? Sorry for the stupid question if this is a no-brainer. Thanks in advance for the help. - Matt

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I would remove the plug and use the end caps to position the reducer in front of the spring. Once assembled see if the required number of shells fit in the magazine. HMB

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Do NOT cut the spring, just remove the mag. plug & replace it with the recoil reducer, as per the instructions. Ross Puls

4. doublea

doublea Member

I tried a C&H Mercury recoil suppressor in the magazine tube of my 870 recently. I took it out because the magazine cap kept loosening up. I had to tighten it up several times during just 2 rounds. Maybe you will have better luck. Adam

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I bought a used setup from a friend that was set up for his Remington 870 by a gunshop. It was an Breako R8 model with white end caps that made it the same diameter as a 12 gauge shell. The gun shop had cut off a magazine spring to about 10 inches, put the spring down the tube first, then installed the recoil reducer. I tried the same setup in my 1100, and it worked well, pushing the second shell from the magazine into the receiver everytime. I'm not sure if this is the right way, but it works for me. It puts the weight forward on the gun, like an endcap weight, and doesn't move when a shell moves out of the magazine. Mark

6. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Well, I ended up using the supplied end cap and just put the reducer in front of the mag spring. I did not cut the spring. Thanks guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
breako installation
breako magazine
breako magazine installation
breako remington magazine
c&h mercuty magazine installation
magazine tube recoil reducers
reciol reducer in 870 magazine tube

recoil reducer in 870 magazine tube