1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help IDing this Old 16ga Side-by-side

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DTrykow, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Hi Guys: I'm looking for an ID on this old European 16ga Shotgun. Nice Engraving 30" barrels choked Mod/Full. Thank you. Dave T.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Fid the proof mark and it will tell you what country it was made in. I'll guess and say Belgium.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I once read that if it was American made, it won't have a proof mark. I do not know if that is true as i don't have one. I do have a couple of old Belgium Damascus barreled SxS and the proof marks are on the under side of the barrel where it mates to the receiver. Mine are simply wall hangers. Your gun appears to be very nicely engraved. Do you know any history on it?
    [​IMG]

4. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Go to 16gasociety.com they will probably tell you what your looking for. Bill

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

THanks Guys: I'll try to find some proof marks. That 16ga society requires a membership fee so I'll look else where in the mean time. Dave T.

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

From the cheek piece on the stock and the sling swivel on the barrel it suggests this was made for the German/Austrian/northern Italian market.

From that MOST of that style shotgun were from guilde houses in Belgium. Further, the thin wrist would also suggests that they also built for the English market - this again would point to a Belgian origin (said differently it would be unlikely to find this gun being made in the UK or Italy).

Look for makers and proof marks on the flats and the monobloc. Should be numbers and/or symbols. The more there are and the better you can describe them the easier it will be to ID.

Without the markings this is only a guess at best...

7. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

HSLDS: Your Right on. With the proof marks and a faint stamping I found out it's a Fluss Stalh. Gun is in Fantastic shape. Owner wants to list it. Trying to put a value on it. $800 to $1000?? is my guess. Dave T.

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

From the shape it is in and thinking that it has steel barrels (not Damascus) I would try the Vintagers.

Do you know if the chambers are 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 inch??

I think you are low on the price. I would think a Vintage shooter would grab it at 1,500 to 2,000, but what do I know???

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Looks like a WW2 trophy. There were a fair number brought back by returning GI's. (Just a guess)

Possibly Inman, Meffert Gewehrfabrik, Suhl, Germany, circa 1839 to 1945.

If you see a twisting pattern in the barrels you can't shoot modern ammo.

HM

10. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

HM: Smooth Bores, nice and shiney. 2 3/4". Well balanced for a side-by-side. Dave T.

11. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Dave what makes you think this gun is chambered for a 2 3/4" shell?

12. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Toolmaker is right, just because a 2 3/4" shell will fit in the chamber doesn't mean it is a 2 3/4 " chamber...

Remember that the mouth of the shell will open up to let the ejecta out of the shell - there needs to be a space for this. To be certain you really need a chamber gauge or know your way around a machine shop to take the measurements.

I would suspect, just from the age, that it is 2 1/2" chambers. This is not a bad thing, and I could be wrong, but worth checking out to be sure.

13. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

There are many like that with the same locks. Usually a cheek piece, Longer barre ls. More than likley in that time frame a German Guild. Look for Crowns on the watertable. Show some pic. of the dowellshead with the gun broke open. Usually when their is no manufactures name it is a guild gun. Price is really in the range more of 4 to 8 hundred if no manufacture can be ID and the bores are in perfect shape. Steel that is. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.