1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help! Gun issues....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tbone0813, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tbone0813

tbone0813 TS Member

I was at the range today shooting with my SKB 85TSS. After about 60 rounds through it the release lever began to stick hard. At about the same time the trigger started to occasionally stick and I would swear that the gun started to sound different when it fired. Sometime I would pull the trigger and it wouldn't fire (it felt like the safety was on) but once I pulled it again it would fire. When I got home I put the double barrel on it and noticed that the only way for me to get it to fire both barrels was to fire one push the barrel switch and then fire again. I have never fired the double barrel before except with snap caps but it should act the same way as regular shells correct?

Any ideas on my multitude of problems? Thanks.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Fix it and trade or sell it.

3. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Not an expert on 85TSS but I have one and love it. Am told if one hammer spring breaks its will interfere with second hammer operation. I believe it was Yoda100 that told me how to change hammer springs. Very simple operation after pulling stock off. Parts available from SKB USA.

4. xtj

xtj Guest

Had the same problem bottom spring was broken. I would not shoot it that way you might cause some other damage my 2 cents.

JKG

5. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

try a good cleaning thats what mine needed

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Why does someone always have to jump in on every Trap Gun thread to bad mouth ones choice of Trap Guns??

The OP wanted help with his problem. He didn't ask if he should sell it or trade it. The OP obviously likes his gun and just wants it repaired.

Good luck and be sure to post when you find the problem so others may use this information.

Matt

7. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

First of all, I believe the SKB had inertial triggers. What this means is the recoil from the first shot is what sets the trigger for the second shot. So, with only snap caps in, you'll hear only one click. If you move the safety on and back off, pull the trigger, and hear the second click, your gun is working as it should.

Now, to address the opening issue, it sounds like two possibilities; cleanliness or broken part. The SKB has leaf springs in it. They are more delicate than coil springs. It is possible that a spring has broken and the broken bit is mucking up the works. I don't know how to get to them, but take the trigger out or remove the stock, and look at the springs.

8. twotimer

twotimer Member

Tbone, the 85tss is one of my favs. Call SKB in Omaha, and they will help you out. They are great to work with. If you need to send it to them, their turn around is great. PM me if you need more info. Mike

9. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Thanks YODA100. My info is based on how the Browning guns work. Anyway, I hope you get it sorted out.

10. tbone0813

tbone0813 TS Member

Okay. So I sent it off to SKB. They said they found several things.

1). Found and removed a bur under the release lever.
    2). He said something about the sear but I can't remember what he said.
    3). They replaced both firing pin retractor springs because of carbon build up.

I should have it back tomorrow. I will shoot it on Saturday and I'll post how everything goes. Thanks for everyones advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.