1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help from Model 12 experts!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Porcupine, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I purchased a nice Model 12 Trap Model about two weeks ago, but last Sunday had two hang-fires with it. After pulling the trigger, the gun would not fire until it was oriented vertically (pointed up). With the help of the Club Model 12 expert, we took apart the bolt and saw that the Firing Pin Retractor Screw had stripped threads. The Firing Pin Retractor Screw was replaced and everything seemed to be working fine until I had another hang-fire. Dang! Does anyone have any ideas as to why this Model 12 fires in this manner? Thanks.

LA in MA

2. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

Very likely to be a bent or just defective action slide lock grabbing the hammer. May be something as simple as a broken spring wire.

(Some may notice that there can be some difference between a club expert and a gunsmith)

This part is not typically a user-fit replacement part. An experienced gunsmith familiar with the Model-12 trigger assembly is recommended, and I happen to do such work, too.

When you held the gun vertical, more tension went forward on the forend, I'll bet, so the end of the action slide lock was not left partially engaged/disengaged at the end of the action slide arm. Then the hammer could use tension to pivot the slide lock hook out of engagement with the hammer lug. Bang.

The firing pin retractor is not likely to make a hang-fire problem, but is more likely to contribute to a misfire problem- since it may inadvertently block the firing pin, see? Poor primer dent/impact would show in that case.

Kirby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.