1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help for Yellow Lab

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JJJ, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

My daughter who is in a religious order(has very little money) has a 18months yellow lab with Patella Luxation. I realize there are several stages to this, the initial stage when the knee cap(patella) pops out, you can usually pop it back in place. However, in the advanced stage,it requires an operation. This costs about $1500 to $2000 which neither of us have. Is there a place on the Eastern Shore of Maryland where there is a charity organization that will help in a case like this? Where is the nearest Vet. School,perhaps they would help. I don't think Presidents BO's health care will cover this. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Thanks, Joe Jordan

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

You might ask the vet whether he will take payments.

The cost of vet care is getting beyond most peoples means.

I have 2 aging Labs with Hip problems and I fear I will have to put them down before to much longer.

You might try Lab rescue in your area. Maybe they could give some suggestions.

Best of luck

Regards....Gerald

3. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Locate a vet school near you, I'm guessing U of Maryland. All things considered, they might do it for free.

Hal Hitchcock

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Joe,

Give these people a shout. (link above) They must have a vet or two that they work with and may be able to give you some info. They are in the DC, VA, MD area and should know the breed well. Unfortunately, I have seen this before and it is usually a congenital defect in the Labs. If it is severe enough, it may require surgery.

There are also health plans for pets. I'm not sure if they are any good or even worth the trouble, but you might want to search around and see if they would help cover something like this. The local vets might be able to give you an idea of which ones are worthwhile.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Vet colleges are normally the most expensive for Veteranary care-- surgeries in particular

If it isnt bothering the dog dont worry about it

The surgery merely deepens the patela grove and they might also tighten the tendons- but the groove is too shallow and that is why it pops out

If it gets too bad- pay the money or have the dog put to sleep

The defect is about 60 percent likely to be genetic

You would have to lie about a dogs pre existing condition to have it covered after the fact by pet insurance---not a good option--

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

You might try the University of PA Vet School. They have a campus in Philadelphia, and a large animal center (New Bolton) in Kennett Square, PA.

As I recall they often help in these situations by having the students work on the animals under the supervision of the teachers (think residents working in a hospital for people).

7. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Post-2 If I have taken your note the wrong way,then I apologize & certainly won't answer any more frivolous threads from you. I do appreciate everyone who tried to help me. If you need help. I'll explain the meaning of frivolous to you.AGAIN,MANY THANKS TO THE SINCERE INDIVIDUALS.I have a feeling that you are irreligious for one reason or the other,but that's your problem not mine. By the way, I have raised & college educated 7 children,all without any government assistance. I did think, that my friends on Trapshooters.Com would help me out,& many did,even with private very helpful messages.The lab,was a gift from Mom & Dad.
    Joe Jordan

8. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Post-2 reminds me of the old saying, dumber than a fence post "twice."

Robert

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

thebigski,

Just take the first three letters and abbreviate it. :)

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Post-2

If you knew the person you slighted, you would NEVER have posted anything close to what you did. Joe is a stand up guy and would do whatever he could for an animal, even if it were not his own. He isn't exactly asking for charity or a Tax Payer bailout. I'm sure that the dog will be well cared for, as have all of his dogs in the past. His problems these days go way beyond that of his daughter's dog. I won't get into it, but I'm sure if you knew half of the story, you would never have said anything like you did. I'm sure I'm not the only one to take offense with your callous and disrespectful post. How many people would even consider a visit to the Vet these days? I know many pet owners would just let the dog suffer with it, or put them down if it was bad enough. I'm sure that Joe, his lovely wife, and his daughter will take care of the dog, even if it means eating beans and rice for the next three years.

Have a "nice" day!

By the way, "personel", "irresponsable", "realisticly", and "activly" are incorrect as well. Just thought I'd pick another nit while I was at it. :)

11. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I strongly suggest you contact the Vet school hospital in Philadephia they are wonderful to work with. I had a Husky run over while chained up in my yard by a drunk driver broke his rear leg a real mess took him to Philadelphia they pinned his leg and other procedures performed to save his leg. That same dog raced as a sled dog lived to 14 years old never a leg problem.

12. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

I might not believe in abortions, but dam it, the thought of retroactive abortions does come to mind after reading the dribble from POST-2. GRUBBY

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Looks like Post-2 ran and hid with his tail between his legs? Why delete your posts if you don't stand behind what you say?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.