1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need help for son on getting focused on one target

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lkaiser, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lkaiser

lkaiser TS Member

I need some tips on helping my son he is 13 on focusing on shooting one target at a time. If he misses a target he really gets down on his self he is capable of being a good shooter this is his first year to shoot and has an ata average of 89. any tip or commets would be great. THANKS

2. lkaiser

lkaiser TS Member

I need some tips on helping my son he is 13 on focusing on shooting one target at a time. If he misses a target he really gets down on his self he is capable of being a good shooter this is his frist year to shoot and has a ata average of 89. any tip or commets would be great. THANKS

3. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

jkaiser,

Maturity will no doubt come along soon. 13 years old is a tough age at best and your encouragement and kind words will help a lot. My dad was always there, win or loose, your being there for him and your obvious fatherly love will be the best cure of all.

When I was about your son's age my father told me this: "Champions only focus on their successes and forget their failures". I still remind myself of this every time I shoot. We are all going to miss targets, (with any luck I'll keep missing them for another 20 or 30 years!)It's how we deal with them that makes the difference. Use them as a learning experience, analyze why you missed, make the correction and move on.

Best of luck to you and your son. Bob

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

lkaiser- I am not your son but like him, I also need help focusing on one target at a time. My dear friend Bob S. above suggested that maturity might resolve this problem. Well, I am mature but I still have the problem. Perhaps Bob was referring to emotional/mental maturity and not chronological maturity. I fear I only have the years and lack the mental focus that did not come with age.

Pat Ireland

5. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

AN 89 avg.is pretty good for his first year. Keep him shooting,come up with some games to challenge him, it will come in time. good luck and good shooting!
    Glenn Allison.
    ps. remind him he is part of the future of this great game.

6. KenC

KenC Member

Twice in the last two months, I have "blown" good scores & punches on the last 25. I got to thinking how nice my 97 & 98 were gonna be & then I ended up with 93s! I am really sick about it too.

I just got to the point where I keep my head on the stock every shot & now there's another thing to think of.

What do you all do to keep your focus on the next target only?

7. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

jkaiser,

Yes, an 89 average is very good for a 13-year-old.

Your son may not be sure exactly where the pattern is going, the POI of his gun. This could be a matter of it not fitting him well.

Has he patterned the gun? Does it fit well enough that his head (and eye) is steady on the comb relative to the rib during ALL swings? If there is doubt on your son's part, it could cause him to aim some shots and miss those targets.

It may be difficult to keep in mind but the most important target is the next target. No other targets matter.

Rollin

8. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Next time you he is shooting tell him you'll give him a quarter/dollar/whatever for every target he 'inkballs', but he has to give you back the same for every one he misses...it makes every target important. Be generous the 1st couple of times in what qualifies as 'ink'...if it costs you a buck or 2 who really cares.If he isn't interested don't force the issue. Stranger things have happened. Cheers-Graham.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.