1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEED HELP FOR ATA 50 YRD STK

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by backfenceata, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. backfenceata

backfenceata TS Member

How to adjust distance for UPWARD SLOPE of ground in front of the trap ???
    I know it would affect the true 50yrd stake, I can shoot it with a lazer level and get the exact rise in inches, now I get lost. Help. Kirk

2. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Use a radar gun or chronograph to set speed and distance will take care of itself. Use the center stake to adjust the field. D Winter

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Why couldn't you set the speed with a radar gun, height with the 26 yard stake and place a stake in where the targets fall.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

If you can accurately measure the arc that the target travels on flat ground and the angle of the slope of the field, I think I could mathematically come up with the answer you are after. But, as others have suggested, I think you need a radar gun.

320090T- Not sure your idea would work well. With a little breeze, the targets will fall at different places. This also happens on a flat field with a 50 yard marker. I don't think anyone knows how far a target should travel with a 12 MPH SSE wind.

Pat Ireland

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

That is easy pat ... if you are facing EWNS with your back slightly to the wind coming off of the Bering sea across the decks of the crab boats before turning in the direction of the WSC in Sparta the effect of the breeze on the bird would be 1.7825982159715 x the square root of cake farther than the 50 yard marker.

I have contacted NASA to help with the other calculations since they will be able to crunch the numbers much faster than I can do myself but the theory is close to the same theory as above but you must use a different factor of cake which is different from cake to cake. I know that double chocolate cake is different from regular chocolate cake but its not double like most would thing and dont even ask about the factor for German chocolate cake either cause not even my government clearance will get me that information.

6. pulllit

pulllit Member

Kirk,

Dig a sloping hole at the base of your current 50 yard stake to the level depth of the throw arm. On perfect calm conditions with the rubber bands warmed up, mark where the target breaks the slope. Drive the stake to this new location.

I my opinion it would be easier to use a chronograph at 67-68 fps.

Jim

7. backfenceata

backfenceata TS Member

Pat, I am looking for the distance stake so I can properly determine my radar speed on a calm day at the proper height. Our ground does not slope up very much--buuutttttt some one has suggested that we could be in error on our base line as to level through position 3 16 yard intersecting target height pole base and finealy 50 yrd base. I was wondering if we are talking much diff. ? I will shoot it tonight(lazer level) , but I am thinking maybe 26" higher at the stake than the level line at the 16 yard. Kirk

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Pat, I was counting on a dead wind day which we both know is impossible to encounter. Sounded good though....

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Pullit, excellent drawing. our situation is just the opposite, ground is lower in front of the traps. Our stake should really be further out than 50 yards to be right. We can set the targets to just cross the top of the stake, that is approximately the correct level.

It would be proper to move the stakes out. Unfortunately, after 30 plus years, club members would howl like banshees.

HM

10. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Just tell the complainers that it's as close as it can be without major expenditure for site survey. If they were willing to pay (for the survey), it could probably be completed very quickly. If not, live with what you have.
    If it looks good to you, it looks good to me! Ours fall in the opposite direction. Fall point about five foot lower than trap arm. Use the ten yard stake, cross bar, and speed gun at 42 MPH. Fall point about six or seven feet long. So? Who says we're wrong?

11. backfenceata

backfenceata TS Member

Big Jack and Pullit , I am leaning to your suggestions of speed gun settings . As I do not know how to run a shovel !! I am waiting on a reply from Neal. And I just talked to Sparta to get the speed gun reading that they are using , as they have the same traps and same trap houses and same target brand. I am also checking radar gun brand and where they hold the gun , ect. Seems like 42 mph held at the back of the trap house is the norm ???? kirk

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

backfenceata- If you use a ProSpeed gun,you only have to set the speed, holding the gun level from the 16 yard line, at a minimum of 42 MPH and a maximum of 43 MPH. That will work at any club.

Jim- Nice diagram that appears to be based on the old Remington poster. I wish it were accurate.

Pat Ireland

13. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

halfmile, our club has the same situation....sloping downward ground away from the traps. We took a laser sighting of a level 50 yd. distance and put RAISED marker poles to represent a stake at the 50 yd. distance. If the bird just crosses the crossbar at the top of the stake (differing heights for different traps) It represents the bird landing at the base of the 50 yd. stake on level ground. Clear as mud right? LOL

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Jerry, perfect.

Additional points to consider:

1. The landing point, real or imaginary must be at the same level as the target resting on the machine AND the 16 yard concrete pad.

2. You need to do this at a time when no one is around, and remove your reference stake, setting a new one at the REAL target landing spot. 600 members starting a rumor about "moving the stake to favor the big dogs" would send me screaming into the night.

Our targets are short, and have been for years because of the lake level beinng lower than the field. (stakes are in the water).

cheers....

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.