1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help - Focus - need an extra bird

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Fraz, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

I have worked at it, refined my shooting to the point where I smoke most birds but I'm losing 2 birds a round on average for the past 2 years. It appears to me that I lose focus for that split second & then shoot to quick, I shoot pratice 3 times a week. Sure I get 24's & 25's but I can beat anyone at the game of 23. Any Ideas. Thanks all Fraz

2. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Quit shooting for 25's and start concentrating on the "1's". before you know it, you'll have strung 25 together without a problem. If you should miss a bird, FORGET it, there will be more to take its place.
    Big Jack

3. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

Listen to Big Jack. My old rifle coach hammered this in to our young skulls.
    EACH SHOT IS AN INDIVIDUAL MATCH you only have to win each match to shoot a good score. Head Down and Keep Swinging

4. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

I have the same problem. I shoot anywhere from 19-24 every time. I've shot for over two years and have never broken 25. Part of it is poor gun fit, but I know that a lot of it is mental, too. Like today I was at the range, mad and determined to break 25. On one round I broke all 5 on positions 1 through 4. Then I got on 5 and got too anxious about finally getting the 25. I lost all 5 birds and ended up with a 20. It is not a question of knowing how to shoot post 5, because I shot registered Sunday and started position 5 and broke all the birds there. Someone recommended to me to get the book "With Winning In Mind". I can't recall the author, but it is supposed to help with mental focus in competition. It might not be shooting specific.

5. kolarkim

kolarkim Member

with winning in mind by Lanny Bassham good read. if you can do what is says you will win with yourself anyway. singles are DEFINATLY one target at a time and I think we have the attitude that they are too easy AND that we have SO many that we get complacent. I have ALOT of 99 and 199s even 100s but I havent broke the magical 200 yet. so NO I havent figured it out either.

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

1.have your eyes checked every six months. If your prescription changes get new lenses.

2. seek the help of a qualified gunfitter.

3. Take some lessons.

The money you spend will be less than the money you waisted for the last two years trying to shoot better buy your self.

Seek help of professionals in their field don't rely on their shooting scores.
    If they have a reputation for helping shooters their probably a good bet.

Joe goldberg

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

how often do you miss the first target, I quess not nearly as often as the rest. As above, shoot every target like it is the 1st.

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Recommend: Order Phil Ross' CD, "The Mental Capabilities of Trapshooting"...Phil had a bunch of 99's from the 27 until he finally ran 100 from the 27. Therefore, he knows a lot about the mental game and learned it when paying his dues a long time ago. He's a well-known So-Cal shooter who has retired; he shoots now and then, mostly when he is teaching. The grapevine told me that he also has a book due out late this month or in early August...not sure about that, but it should be an exciting and helpful read.

Phil advertises at this website btw; you can order the CD by calling 909-307-0385. The CD helped me and some guy in the Tri-County Club immensely.

9. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

Thanks Guys,
    I Started 6 years ago with the Trap shooters secrets & Fred Missildine book to Frank Little & Lanny Bassam book & CD.and for the past 6 weeks I've been working from Phil Kiners instruction CD after watching it 4 - 5 times which smoothed out a lot of bumps. but the scores are still the same -23. Now I shoot only one bird at a time not for the twenty five, heck I want a 75 straight. I'll do 15 - 18 straight, and somewhere I'll think I'm ready when I call but I'm really not, its not the birds its not the gun its me, I lose that solid thinking one target concentration. My gun at this point is tuned, no problem with my breaks, and my eyes are just freshly tuned - no glasses. Maybe I need one of those shock collars. Thanks Guys Fraz

10. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

I agree with Chango2. The Phil Ross CD helped me a whole lot.

I had was having difficulty concentrating throughout a round. Phil's mental management was the ticket. Gave me a plan of action that kept me focused while shooting.

I'm probably the guy fron Tri County Trap Club Chango2 mentioned. Within 6 weeks after listening to Phil's CD I'v had my best ATA scores ever. A 99 in singles, 97 in handicap, 97 in doubles. I have run doubles twice and have had two 49s. I'm not as consistant as I would like but I'm working on it.

Charlie

11. otnot

otnot Active Member

Your trying too hard. Just go out and shoot and have fun and the 25's and 100's will just happen. Don't think or talk about misses or a poor scores. If someone asks you what you shot say you shot a 96 or whatever. Don't say "Well i dropped 4 and this is why. Tell your self something positive just before you mount your gun and this will help you clear your mind of all the abstract things that distract you. You have to teach yourself how to get into the zone so you subconscious takes over and shoots the shot for you. If your thinking with your conscious mind when you shoot your going to miss sooner than later. You can only think about one thing at a time.

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I agree with otnot. There are one or two physical things you may consider looking into. They have bitten me. Firstly, make sure your trigger is not too heavy or light for your style. I type a lot, so need a crisp light trigger of 3 to 3.5 lbs. The trigger must be consistent. I had a K-X5 that I set up too light. I also had problems with the tigger varying in pull due to my neglegence. The KX-5 is a fine gun. I also was shooting last week and shot 55/56 in singles. (With a gun new to me, not the K gun.) The miss was due to squinting. It is bright summer in So-Cal right now, and the streak, bright sun, etc., was making me squint. I had to force myself to maintain a soft focus and that's not easy, not easy to have eyes track, if they will, when one squints. I therefore ordered some very dark polarized lenses from Decot that should arrive soon.

I also noted that I had poor trigger control with the KX-5. It had to do with the shape of the grip. By coincidence, I picked up a Ljutic for resale (somebody made me a deal I couldn't refuse) and tried it out...shot the Ljutic much better...less felt recoil, better control, all much better. Sadly, I later traded the KX-5..the saddness was due to my really liking the gun and its beauty and intent. But I didn't shoot as well as I felt I should. However...the Ljutic and I just meshed..I also had high scores in my short handicap practicing with the Ljutic. It just flat out worked. I, by the way, did not actually sell the KX-5, but traded it for another (second and almost identical) Ljutic that was fancier and worth lots more. A friend was gun poor. Picked up that L gun and ran 'em first time I shot it. Never felt my KX-5 had eyes for me...I had one short yardage win with the KX-5 and rarely ran 'em in practice or anywhere..we did not mesh, no fault of the gun.

I once had a BT-99 with which I was inconsistent. Added 2 oz. weight to the barrel and the gun worked with me and then I had success. This was years ago...it's the subtlties SOMETIMES but not always. Once the gun shoots where you look, you are on your way. That BT was a nice gun for the money...still the stock fell apart!!! Fault of the gun. I got rid of it years ago.

It is not just, it is usually hardly the gun, but sometimes certain gun/person combinations just flat out work better due to subtlties of balance, fit, trigger, movement, etc. It is just a lot of things.

I also suggest that you try wearing a glove on your trigger hand if you are not doing so...better control. Before you know it, the round will be over and you will have forgotton if you have or have not "run em", you are always shooting the next target!!!

Recap: Check trigger; buy Phil's CD, have somebody watch you and see if you are not overcontrolling the gun or stopping it and "trapping targets", moving gun too early,etc....I am guilty of having had all those problems and still do to a large degree. Some guns just flat out work better for me...the Ljutic Monogun has a built in follow through due to its balance (Model 12-like) and makes me shoot better than I really can. Or, better put, I break more targets with small errors in technique than I ever did before. It's an unfair advantage, if not like "cheating"...but what's right for one shooter re. gun may not be right for another. I'm a bit of a "herky jerky" shooter who needs a little bit more gun weight for control.

P.S. What kind of gun are you shooting? I often feel that shooters address fit, and rightfully so, but often fail to address weight and balance, and sometimes, length of pull. It is common for shooters to shoot too long of a LOP and that makes posts 1 and 5 particularly troublesome. What's right for one shooter may be wrong for another. Also, what is your point of impact? Most average shooters, like myself, do best with a 60-40 to 70-30, although this is a set up that is a bit "old school" as folks go more and more to high ribs and guns that shoot a pattern high. The grapvine also tells me that Phil's book has one of the most important, if not "the" most important "secret" printed therein; it's a basic fundamental in shooting that he learned while shooting International Style for the USAF years and years ago...

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Well now, after you've found the magic powder, please, send some to me.

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Shot 410...the secret is simply: There are no secrets. Not entirely according to Carly Simon, but also in shooting. There are just some overlooked and basic facts in all sports.

15. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Assuming that everything is optimal Gun, Shells, and eyes then it's a game of 1 target 25 times not 25 targets at once!
    Joe

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Yup, PerraziBigBore is right on; I used to do that trick too...dump a whole bunch shells in the pouch. Now I put a few extra in..sometimes I think I shoot poorly because I like to shoot; paradox, no, but I have difficulty delaying gratification and want to call for and break a bird before I am ready.

Sometimes I wish this game were one of how many one can break in 10 minutes or some such rather than how many out of 100!!! I love to shoot..

17. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

As you recommended I ordered Phil Ross, you are all so very correct about one bird at a time, I guess I need to go to the wood shed every time I slip & forget. thanks for the great suggestions and interest.
    Happy shooting - Fraz

18. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Look up Frank Hoppes article in Trap and Field, "Control the little things." The rest will fall into place easier. Good luck, John

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Fraz I read this somewhere and I don't remember where. I applied it and it helped me.

I do not move my gun until I focus my eyes on the leading edge of the target when it is clear I go after it it just seem to stop the tendency to jump to fast when the pressure is on. Give it a try if you wish what can it hurt.

Bob Lawless

20. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Fraz,

You didn't mention whether you are missing your birds mainly from a particular station. You also didn't mention whether you are missing birds that go right, or left, or hard rights or lefts, or almost straight-aways. Try to pay attention and see if there is a pattern.

This is only a theory: Bad hold points can be overcome by someone with good eyes and reflexes - most of the time. Try to slightly raise or lower your hold points, or bring them in at the ends, or out. Try favoring right hand birds.

Without knowing whether there is a pattern to your misses, it's just a guessing game.

In my third ATA shoot, I shot 23-24-25, way above my head. I started on station 3 and shot 5-5-5 on the last 25. Got four straight hard lefts on station 1 and missed them all. Missed 2 on station 2 for a 19. This was good for me, but worked on my head on station 1 for a good while afterward.

Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.