1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need help fixing Mod 12 trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Apr 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

Today at the range I had a problem with my mod 12 and need some help on getting it fixed. I loaded the shell into the chamber 12 ga. I went to pull the trigger it did not fire and it would not release or open. Then without touching the trigger it fired.Thank God the gun was facing the trap house. I thought it was because I did not close the bolt hard enough. I shot two more rounds fired ok then it happened again. I put the gun up and when I had a chance tried to recreate the problem. I put in a fired round locked the bolt pulled the trigger it would not fire and locked up then just seconds later I heard the firing pin strike the spent primer. It is firing mere seconds after I pull the trigger.Ideas as to likely solution please. TY

2. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Striper,

I had this exact same problem! First, to prevent the uncontrolled firing, when you pull the trigger and nothing happens, be sure to IMMEDIATELY push in the action slide release ALL THE WAY IN before moving the slide to the rear. This will prevent the hammer from falling forward and firing the shell. Keeping the slide lock pressed, then you can move the slide back and remove the unfired shell.

In my Model 12, one of the action slide lock springs had broken, which allowed the hammer to move laterally enough on the hammer pin so as to not be in sync with the hammer slide lock. This was an easy fix once I figured out what to do and found/made the right size punches and staking tools. I ended up replacing both action slide lock springs.

Good luck with yours. PM me if you need any more help.

LA in MA

3. racer

racer TS Member

Timing spring trouble. Some have one and some have two. They are about an inch long and straight. You will see them when you take the trigger out. No big deal... Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.