1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help cleaning chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by open choke, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. open choke

open choke TS Member

How do you guys clean the plastic out of the chokes?

I tried using the tornado stainless steel brush on the end of my Otis kit, copper gun brush. And using hoppes as a solvent.

I put elbow grease into it and dont seem to make much progress.

Any suggestions?

2. ccampbell

ccampbell Member

GumOut - Carb Cleaner will melt the plastic out of you choke tubes.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Soak tubes in acetone. HMB

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Use some acetone on a rag and then chuck up a barrel brush in your cordless drill and clean the choke. It will be like new when your done.

Caution: DO NOT GET THE ACETONE ON THE STOCK OR FOREARM.

5. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Check out "slip2000" products.

Great stuff, follow directions they give.

Their cleaners will remove any oil from the metals pores.

So be careful.

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Quite using those cheap a$$ claybuster wads and the plastic fouling will all but disappear.

Soak tubes in acetone (like hmb stated. available almost everywhere) and then one swipe with a brush and it is gone. Yes, keep it far far away from the wood!

ss

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I use a Brass Brute brush with a cordless drill. Soak the choke tube in a solvent -- Your choice for a few hours -- then take pliers [pipe wrench type] covered in thick tape so it does not scratch the choke tube -- clamp down on the tube and run the brass brush through the tube several times [put on a shop apron]. Take a rag to wipe it down. Spotless. Use Briley Green lube to re-install. Fred

8. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Cordless drill + bore brush = win.

9. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

I agree with timberfaller. Try Slip 2000 Gas Piston and Choke tube cleaner. It's non-toxic and smells like oranges.

Drop your chokes in, screw the cap back on the jar and leave them overnight. The next day you should have all the plastic floating in the solution and absolutely whistle clean chokes and just wipe them off and Lubricate well! If they're still fouled, put them back in the solution for a while longer. If your chokes have any plastic band or writing with ink on them the slip 2000 will remove any print too.

When you've finished cleaning them make sure to use a good oil or synthetic oil inside and out or they'll rust straight away as the slip 2000 removes ALL the oil from the metal.

You'll also notice that every time you clean your chokes from that point on, they'll be very easy to clean.

The Slip 2000 cleaner will get dirty but it will still work. I've had 1 jar for a couple years. It's non flammable and non toxic too.

Best,
    Tom

10. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

There is no need to soak chokes in foul smelling chemicals. Put a brass brush in a drill and clean the choke in a few seconds. I squirt in a little wd 40 but anything wet would work. It is so easy, why complicate it? I use a one piece brass rod and clean the barrel and choke at the same time. I haven't seen plastic fouling since I started using a drill.

11. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Shooters choice choke tube cleaner softens the plastic nicely

12. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

The drill and Shooter's choice works well, and I've been using Rog-R's chamber and tube brushes with good results. While we're at it, take that tornado brush and throw it as far as you can, then go find it and throw it again.

13. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

Bandit; you kill me! Now, I've had my laugh for the day.
    Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

14. warren

warren Member

Take the choke tube out and scrape it out with your pocketknife, that's the only way to get it truly clean.

warren

15. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Clean your tubs out with Lacquer Thinner and a brush.

That plastic build up can't hold up to lacquer thinner. Then let dry and top it off with a little WD-40....... good as new!

16. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The only thing you should be cleaning from your chokes is carbon build up. Carbon can be removed with a good chamber brush and one of those plastic choke grippers.

If you have plastic build up in your chokes you are not using a good quality wad. STOP USING CLAYBUSTER WADS! There are other good inexpensive wads to choose from.

Jim Skeel

17. maka

maka Member

Note of cation: use to work with acetone, extremly flamable. Good solvent, I would soak chocks over nignt in glass, (not plstic) jar or small tin can with cover. Acetone is expensive and evaporates quickly.

18. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Any solvent that melts poly will clean chokes (lacquer thinner, acetone etc.). You shouldn't even need a brush. If what's in the choke doesn't come out with solvent alone, IT'S NOT PLASTIC; it's probably lead.

Mike

19. open choke

open choke TS Member

Will soaking in the acetone removed the writing off the end (where you can hand tighten) of a carlson extended tube?

I also was told to use a glass mason jar. I just dont wanna remove the writing off the tube.

20. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I'm with timberfaller on the Slip 2000. It is a wonderful product for that job. After soaking the tube in it. I use a little Dawn dishwashing soap, hot water and an old toothbrush for a clean up and the choke tube looks brand new.

John E.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mek for cleaning chokes