1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEED HELP CHOOSING AR 15 STYLE 308

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by TRAINWRECK, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRAINWRECK

TRAINWRECK TS Member

Looking for info on a AR 15 style in 308 cal. Requirements needed; good quailty, reliable, accuracy, and made in USA if possible. What do you recommend, why and price range?

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I believe the first thing you need to look at is the issue of magazines, as most makes use different mags.

Some use M14 mags, some use FAL mags, some are proprietary. Purchasing a dozen or two mags is not cheap, and you are married to your mag choice.

3. oz

oz Active Member

go to ar15.com for lots of info and guns you probably will never see in the gun store. I have a DPMS but the fired brass was getting stuck a lot. I put an armalite barrel in it and it works fine.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The .308 version is the AR 10.

5. everettjunior

everettjunior TS Member

I choose the Patriot Ordnance Factory (POF). I like the Hunter Sniper Rail, The gas piston system and I have shot sub MOA groups with mine shooting a variety of ammunition.Come from the factory with a Geissle SSA trigger too! Here is a few pictures of mine. It has a leupold mark 4 scope on it. Also using the harris bipod and p-mags.
    everettjunior_2008_03031.jpg

everettjunior_2008_03032.jpg

everettjunior_2008_03033.jpg

6. everettjunior

everettjunior TS Member

I liked the 308 POF so much I went ahead and bought the 556 version. Has magpul angled foregrip, troy industries flip up battle sights (best $200 I spent), magpul p-mag, Vltor stock.
    everettjunior_2008_03034.jpg

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Daniels Defense makes nice AR packages.

8. everettjunior

everettjunior TS Member

Hard to bet Daniels Defense and or LWRC!

9. Chessie33

Chessie33 TS Member

If you are looking for the best over all AR for the money and reliability take a look at the LMT, Lewis Machine and Tool. You pay a little more, but when you read about them you will see why. Mine has worked flawlessly. Good luck in your search. John

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

When you have narrowed it down, go to this site to shop around. There's a lot of new and used 308 stuff on here, including magazines, at sometimes reasonable prices. My personal choice was the Armalite, but the LMT has a government contract right now, so they definitely must have the bugs out of their product. Bushmaster made one for a while, but finally gave up and let Rock River Arms take over and finish tweaking it. If you do decide to go with used, try to make sure the rifle was made within the last 5 years. Some of them have come a long way. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

P.S. If money is not a problem, take a look at the Colt LE901. It's brand new, but anything from this company would have to be one of, if not the best.

11. TRAINWRECK

TRAINWRECK TS Member

Thank everyone. I think I will look at the armalite first. It seems that most of the 308 ar hard to find in stock at local stores. Does any know anything good or bad about the Remington R25?

12. oz

oz Active Member

I believe remington has stoppped seling them. I believe they are made by DPMS.

13. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

New SIG 716 patrol, .308 win, 16" barrel, quad rails. $1760.00
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

14. lwr_

lwr_ Member

I bought the DPMS Sportical in 308. Cost at Walmart is $847.00. It shoots great and is very accurate.

15. TRAINWRECK

TRAINWRECK TS Member

Thanks to all. Bought an armalite today.

16. chipdaddy

chipdaddy Member

Who buys these guns? The mother of the shooter in New Town CT bought one and the results are as noted on every channel. I know the gun doesn't know good from bad but it's an assault weapon.

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

The guy point blank, executed a room full of babies while he blocked the exit. He could have used a trapgun with a 25 box holder on his belt.

Don't drink the latest batch of kool aid.

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Some of you people are unreal. Instead of fixing the real issue which is defective people, your type look to blame an inanimate object. Unreal!!!

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

TRAINWRECK,

Your gonna love that Armalite. They have been in the AR business for as long as there have been AR's. wish I could afford an AR 10 myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.