1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help choosing a gun!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joemclark, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joemclark

joemclark TS Member

I need some help. I am new to trap shooting my 13 yr old just joined the trap shooting team at school. So he is wanting a new gun for duck season and now needs a new gun for trap shooting. Is there a gun that he can do both with successfully. I have pretty much moved away from a single barrel just because it seems one dimensional (no pun intended). I thought the Remington 1100 Competion with the adjustable comb and stock would be a good gun. Can he also shoot that gun in the duck blind. I mean I know he can but is that a wise choice? Do I just need to breakdown and buy a gun for duck hunting and another for Trap.

Thanks!! Looking forward to your advice!!!

2. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

If you can afford it, two guns would be much better. If you cant he can find sucess with one gun. How much does he complain about taking out the trash??? HAHA good luck!!

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I think the Comp is for target type ammo only, not field & duck loads. Ross Puls

4. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

Buy one for both, so many kids go the field gun option then end up switching guns right when they get use to it because their not made to be shot as much . I might recommend a bt99

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Get an 1100-1187 with screw chokes in a Trap model. 2 3/4 Hevishot will kill any Duck at any reasonable shooting distance. Jeff

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Buy a sporting o/u. like a Browning Citori, 425, 525, etc... the hybrid nature will work well on the range and afield 32" will give you the length and strength for both... with tubes for distance, singles and doubles...

Jay

7. GoldTrigger

GoldTrigger Member

wow 32" barrels for a 13 year old... Come on guys, we can give better advice than that.

I agree with the comp model might have trouble with heavy hunting loads.

an 1100/1187 sounds reasonable if that is your price range to get both jobs done with one gun.

Bt-99 is great gun for a youth but not much fun in a duck blind (one shot)

Just really comes down to price range

8. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

As nice as break actions are, the are a pain in the a$$ in a duck blind unless he is 6'6" or taller. I would look into a Beretta 390 sporting 28" barrel with an adjustable comb. Most of these guns have a 3" chamber and will handle waterfowl loads with ease. These guns are very easy to disassemble and clean, low in recoil and if needed, parts are readily available. These guns are versatile and can be adjusted for field, skeet, sporting or trap with just a comb adjustment and choke tube change. Bill Hom

9. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Member

Duck guns take abuse in the duck blind. The Rem 1100 is a good choice for trap
    shooting and look for a used 1100 or 870 for his hunting gun.

10. No Luck

No Luck TS Member

You could try a 11-87 premier with a 3 inch chamber. Then you are almost unlimited to different barrels and stock configurations.
    No Luck

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Look at your Remington guns Bbl and see if it is also a 3 inch Bbl or does it say 2 3/4 inch Target Shells only. A lot of Remington 1100s are dual purpose guns.

A Browning XT would do both for you in an O/U.

The Beretta 390 or 391 may also be a dual purpose gun.

Your billfold will dictate a lot on this subject.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. oz

oz Active Member

Good choice. You probably can get a short stock for it too (2 stocks)

13. wayno

wayno TS Member

another vote for a beretta 390/3901, or even a 303. if you find one with a monte carlo stock, you only need a barrel or choke change, or both, to shoot well at any target fit for shotgun sports.

i have two 390's; one dedicated trap with an adjustable monte, that is ok with sporting or skeet with a barrel change, and a pretty little "ducks unlimited" model for skeet and doves/ducks.

sure, i have other guns. but i don't really need them.

wayne harrison
    greensboro, nc

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

870 and two buttstocks. Problem solved.

Low investment, no handicap for either type of shooting, gun will hold it's value, a "little" challenging for doubles, but, hey. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

1100,303,390,391 all should suffice for one gun application. I wouldn't worry about 3" bullets anyway for a 13 yr old. Heck Iam 52 and have shot one heck of alot of ducks and haven't used a box of 3" 's in my life.

16. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

Beretta parallel target (AL391 or similar) with reduced length stock. Comes with 28" barrels.

David

17. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i have a 303, 28in barrel(2 3/4in &3in) mobil choke, parallel stock lop 14 1/4in- we have been shooting this in our youth trap program - a young man medium sized has been shooting it- this wud be a good all around gun - if interested- welcome to call me--wally riebesell--660-744-4115 cst PS:if he gets its and doesnt work out-return it in same condition for $ back less shipping

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Wally instantly solved that problem!!

Hap

19. superxlou

superxlou Member

Beretta AL391

20. spritc

spritc Active Member

Beware the man/boy who shoots one gun, he'll kick your butt. Find an 1100 that fits your son and stand back, you can buy multiple barrels for different purposes. Best of luck to both of you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.