1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help: can a polycarbonate lens be 'filed'?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Porcupine, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Need help: can a polycarbonate lens be

I have a pair of single-vision glasses used exclusively for trap shooting. I also have four different clip-on shades (orange, medium yellow, bronze and light purple) to adjust for different lighting conditions, backgrounds, etc. So when I update my prescription, I buy only one pair of new lenses instead of four. Anyway, my new polycarbonate lenses came in, mounted on my existing frames, but when I tried to attach a clip-on, I found that the right lens was too thick for the clip-on lugs. My question is, can I take a hand file and delicately file two small grooves (c. 2mm wide x 1mm deep x 5mm long) in the polycarbonate to allow the clip-ons to fit? Polycarbonate is not supposed to chip, right? Any help would be much appreciated. Going back to the optometrist is not an option.

LA in MA

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

It can be done. If I were going to file them down i would be extremely careful and do it with my dremel tool. Real tricky. You have to have a real steady hand. When I was in the window business we glazed windows in schools that were in high crime areas with Lexan (trade name for polycarb). Bulge.

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Yes it can. That's how the lenses attached to the frame. Depend on how the frame is holding the lenses, you might create a potential folding line of the lens.

Can you bend the clip instead?

4. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I wached as my glasses man filed my lenses to fit the slots on my Ranger frames. He used a very small round file with very fine teeth he also used my old lenses as a template to get the groves in the right place seemed easy buy when you know what you are doing it always looks easy. Get a fine tooth file and practice on some plastic first.

Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can you file down glasses lenses polycarbonate

dremel tool on plastic glasses lens

filing down thick lenses