1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEED HELP BROWNING BT-99 Guys

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by copperhead, May 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copperhead

copperhead Member

I purchased a Browning bt-99 and it has a single star marked on the barrel so I thought it was full. After I got home from my first round of trap with it I measured the choke diameter and got .708. My question is "what is the standard bore diameter for the bt-99"? so I can figure out what the constriction is and if the fixed full choke was opened up.

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Only a bore gage will let you know for sure. Some barrels years ago had the bore stamped on the bottom of the barrel.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

You could put it on paper and see what it looks like. (see link) I have an older BT-99 that has a .726 bore. If yours is close to that, it sounds like yours might be a loose mod. Or, maybe the barrel has been bored out and is still a full choke with an overbore. You really need a bore gauge or need to pattern it to see. Or you could just shoot it and not worry about it. Put some shot on the target and it breaks.We have a guy that shoots games at our club and does really well. He was telling me that he shoots an IC choke all the way back. I didn't believe him, but after he let me unscrew the choke, it was an IC. Can't argue with success.

4. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

The bore could be .725 to .735 and it may have been back bored to .745, only the bore gauge will tell.

5. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Trapshooter Joe is right. My '69 measures .725 and my '70 measures .730.

6. copperhead

copperhead Member

According to the ser.# it was manufactured in 87 if that helps.

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

According to my Blue Book of Gun Values, Invector chokes became standard on BT-99s in 1986. Sounds like you have an unusual gun, maybe it has had a different barrel fitted?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.